Center channel speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Bee, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Mark Bee

Mark Bee Extra

I am in the process of acquiring a new home theater component system. How important is the quality of the center channel? It seems from all of the internet readings and research that about 85% of all surround theater sound goes thru this specific speaker. So, it seems logical one would certainly one would want a very high quality center speakers? Does anyone have an opinion on this issue? Also, it seems a very good sub is also a key component if you really want to recreate intense sound?

Specifically, I have been looking at the center paradigm 370 and the SVS PB2+.

2. JasonALL

JasonALL Auditioning

The quality of the center channel speaker is extremely important for movies. The sub gets a good work out too, because the center channel frequently does not have range below 80 hz, sometimes even 100hz. The other thing to consider is front speakers that are voice matched so that moving sound does not change tone.

As far as the speakers you mentioned, I haven't heard them, but I'm sure that there are people here who have them.

Have fun hunting down your gear!

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Mark,
    Im havent audition the paradigm 370, but there are a lot of paradigm guys here that I think they will express their opinion. The SVS PB2+ is an incredible sub, its performance is unbelievable.

If you are constructing your setup around the center and the sub, you might also want to check for centers,
    Axiom VP150
    Rocket RSC200
    Ascends Acoustic CMT-340c

4. Mark Bee

Mark Bee Extra

I am considering a NAD T763.

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Very good reciever, you might want to check also Harman Kardon AVR7200, great reciever for the money, you can get it online for $900