What's new

Center channel speaker problems (1 Viewer)

trixieindixie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Linstrum
I have a Definitive Tech. CLR 2300. I was rudley awakened one night by an explosion of loud vibrating sound emitting from the base. It just did this on its own while everything was off. I scrambled around half asleep and finally found the correct plug to pull in order to kill it. Is this a fixable problem? Is it worth fixing if it is? Thank you.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Not sure what your problem is. Do you say that the sound was emmitted from the center channel speaker. What do you mean by base?

Everything was off? Including the receiver? It sounds like a receiver issue, not a speaker issue.

Have you checked the speaker wire from the receiver to the speaker itself? I'm wondering how any potential difference could make it to the speaker with all of the devices off? There could be a breach in the speaker wire somwhere.

But again, please define what you mean by "base" in your explanation.

trixieindixie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Linstrum
OK. I will explain the best I can for I do not know much about this stuff......I have pulled the clr 2300 completely out of the entertainment system. It is now sitting on a counter top. When I plug it into an outlet, a horrible, deep, reverberating noise is emitted from the large speaker. I have not opened it up to see how things are put together inside the speaker box. Is there a circuit board inside which could have failed and is somehow causing this to happen? The sound quality of my theatre is definitely compromised without this center channel. I know if I take it somewhere like Best Buy to have them look at it, it will end up costing more to fix than could be justified, that is just the way things seem to work. They want you to purchase a new unit. If someone with some basic technical knowledge could help me to understand what the problem might be, and how this unit works, I may be able to come up with the proper fix myself with a minimum output of cash. This speaker is very good in my setup and I have bben extremely pleased with it, so I am not really looking to upgrade. I have looked on ebay and the used ones which are there, seem to be priced a bit high for a used unit, but this is just my impression. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For others that may be reading, the CLR 2300 is a combination Left/Center/Right speaker that includes a powered 8" subwoofer.

It seems reasonable from the description that there's an issue with the subwoofer's amplifier, however I have zero experience when it comes to troubleshooting actual speaker components.

There are other folks on this forum that are much more knowledgeable about such things - hopefully they will see this thread and chime in.

I'll stop with the speculation at this point, because anything else I might add to the discussion would be purely wild guesses.

Good luck.

trixieindixie

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Linstrum
Based on your experience I have tried this procedure with mine and it did not correct the problem. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks