center channel speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Seto, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Andrew Seto

Andrew Seto Auditioning

i'm quite new to this, but just recently got a Jvc HTiB at Etronics for my family as a christmas gift.
    i do have a little situation. not sure if it's going to be a problem or not with the center channel speaker.
    our home is relatively new (built in 1998) and included a in-wall media center in the living room. It is nice, but only fit our Sony 35" Tv. the gap near the front of the tv is about 3" high from the top of the media center enclosure to the tv. now the center speaker that comes with HTiB (model DS-TP350) 3 13/16"H .
    so the problem is that it wont fit in the front of tv. so i was thinking about using wallmount brackets and attaching it about 11" behind where the tv set slopes down.
    the thing i was wondering is if i put the speaker there, will i degrade the quality of the audio coming out of that speaker (from what ive read in here, that's the speaker that is used for dialogue and main effects) or should it not have that much of a negative affect?
    id appreciate any comments. thanks alot!
    happy holidays [​IMG]

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Cut a 1" slot in the wall above the TV [​IMG]
    Seriously though, yes, I think putting it that far behind the TV will ruin its audio output.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

absolutely do not put the speaker that far behind the tv. the sound will definitely be affected.
    think of it this way, with the speaker behind the tv, the sound will be "blocked" by the tv itself, seriously affecting the amount and quality of the sound.
    if anything, i recommend you either place the speaker on the floor, aiming it up towards your listening area. or, you can construct some sort of bracket and mount the speaker above the tv on the wall.
    of course, the WAF will come into play, but you'll have to handle that on your own! [​IMG]

4. William H

William H Auditioning

If you can't put the unit on top of your tv you should go with Ted's suggestion but not on the floor. Purchase a short speaker stand and place the center speaker on it tilted up a little. The speaker stand should be tall enough that is is as close to the bottom of the Tv's height as possible. If the Tv is 24" off the ground, get a 18-20" stand since you said the height of the center channel is close to 4". You don't want the speaker to block the view of the monitor =P. Tilt them up a little so that it's aimed at your ears height. People usually place their center speakers on top of their Tv with the front of the speaker flush to the top edge. But since it's an in-wall entertainment center, that options not available to you =(

It's probably better to get the stand. It might look weird at first but it saves you from drilling holes in your wall. =D

Regards,

WH

5. Andrew Seto

Andrew Seto Auditioning

thanks for all your recommendations...
    i'm not sure what ill be doing, but ill take all your suggestions into consideration. as long as the parents are okay with it, i might cut a chunk out of the wall so it will fit on top of the tv.
    thanks again.. [​IMG]