Center channel speaker on a budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I am looking for a center channel speaker for no more than $100-125. I recently purchased a Panasonic SA-HE100 from Circuit City and they had a promotion where they would throw in two Pioneer sats and a center channel speaker for free (S-CR400). I know that these speakers are probably at the bottom of the low range in quality. For my current setup I am using Klipsch KG2s for the mains, a Sony WM40 for the sub, a pair of Cambridge speakers for the rear and the Pioneer for the center. My plan is to replace the center first and then the rears at a later date. I am quite happy with the Klipsch for the mains.

What suggestions do you have for a decent center speaker in that price range?

2. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Because your happy with the Klipsch KG2s as your mains, the rule of them is to get a center that will be timbre matched to these speakers. Most likely a Klipsch center is the way to go, although some manufacturers have models that don't match their other models, so it's best to see if you can contact the Klipsch people and ask them for a model that is timbre matched to your mains. If this is not an option, then ask them to recommend a center that is a close second. Someone here at the forum with Klipsch experience will probably be along shortly with good advice, also.