What's new

center channel speaker for rear center? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if this is a good option. I am not going to go 7.1 because it is not practical in the room, and I would need to get a new receiver to do it, and I really dont want to give up the reciever I have.

I also get a major discount on everything where I work, but we of course only sell bookshelf speaker as pairs. So if I dont go the center channel rear route, I will end up with an extra useless speaker.

All of the speaker would be matched. basically what I would end up with is Infinty Primus 160s for mains, 150s ofr left and right surounds, and c25 center channels for the front and back. Is there any good reason not to do it this way?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've used both single monopoles and a center in a 6.1 setup, and I felt that using a center speaker worked better in my room.

Another possibility would be to get another pair of 160s and use them for the centers.

FYI: you don't need to get a new receiver, 6.1 and 7.1 are the same thing (both speakers get the same signal unless you use processing other than DD-EX/DTS-ES), you would just need to use a separate amp from the pre-out for the rear center (providing it has them) split to a stereo amp and feeding two speakers. That would obviously still be much more expensive than just getting a center.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm aware, I just know that there is a segment of this forum that believes 7.1 is supeior to 6.1, and I happend to not agree. I just didn't want anyone telling me "just use both bookshelves and go 7.1!"

ANd while it would be nice to have 160s all around, it's really not practical and very limiting as far as speaker placement goes, especially the front center...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not one of those who thinks there is a big benefit for 7.1, especially in the typical size room people have their HTs in. I've gone back to 5.1....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks