What's new

Center Channel Speaker for Boston MR-V60 Bookshelf Speakers. (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody,
I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V1000 "Natural Sound" AV Receiver with two Boston VR-M60 speakers.

I need a recommendation for a center channel speaker. My emphasis is on sound quality and balance, and I'll be using the system for both movies and music. The room is 14x10.

Following is what I came up with after a few hours of calling up and visiting local retailers. I am hoping somebody with more experience will just come on here and tell me what to buy.

Axiom VP100 Center Channel Audio - $255 shipped
Klipsch Icon Dual 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker - $285 from Best Buy
Vienna Acoustics Theatro Center-Channel Speaker - $622 from Best Buy

The Axiom and Klipsch are in the price range of what I would be happy to spend. Up to $400 is the limit, it would be nice to get recommendations for speakers of different prices up to $400.

I included the Vienna Acoustics because it blows out of the water anything I've ever heard ... if somebody can convince me that I absolutely have to have it to complement the Boston VR-M60 speakers, I probably would end up getting it.

What I am really hoping for is a center channel speaker that isn't going to send me into bankruptcy, but isn't going to drag down the Bostons.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It's going to be very difficult to find a good matching center channel from another manufacturer. Really, you should get the center channel speaker that was designed to go with your mains, but a quick search told me that your mains are discontinued. You might want to try contacting Boston Acoustics and asking what they would recommend.

Timbre-matching the front 3 speakers is critically important for movies, as sounds pan across the front soundstage very frequently and any tonal differences between the speakers will be very noticeable.

If you can wait, I would suggest holding off until you can replace all three front speakers with a matched set, particularly if the VR-M60's are still performing well.

Edit: Searching online, it appears the VR-12 was designed to go with the M60's. You could try searching for a used one to save some cash.

I can't seem to find a VR-12.

I've decided to demo the [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Vienna Acoustics Theatro Center-Channel Speaker and the Axiom VP100 Center Channel Audio.

I'll post results on how they match for the one person out there who might possibly be interested.
[/COLOR]

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
You didn't mention the rest of your system. If your goal is 5.1 you could find a new matching front stage of left, right, center that match each other and move your two Boston's to your surround speakers. I tired to combine three sets of old Stereo speakers into a 5.1 system and It just didn't work. Each pair were good speakers on their own but they didn't work well together especially up front.

Hey Bill, that is my whole system.

I currently only have the Yamaha RX-V1000 deck and the two Boston VR-M60.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks