Center Channel Speaker < $150

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by brandon_len, Feb 1, 2004.

1. brandon_len

brandon_len Auditioning

Anyone recommend a center channel speaker at or less than $150. Thanks!!

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

it depends on what you are using for front l/r. it's recommended that you get a center channel that tonally matches the front pair

3. brandon_len

brandon_len Auditioning

I am using JBL scs136 front speakers. I think they have great sound for their size which was a major factor in my purchase (size). However I think the center channel is rather weak. I will be using them solely for home theater.
    How much of a difference does it make to match a speakers tone?? Is it something only audiophiles will hear or does it just simply sound terrible?
    Thanks!!!

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

sorry, but I am not familiar with JBLs to suggest an alternative if any (snce you think the matching center is weak). I think you might be able to hear a difference depending on the speaker, but in practice, its only affected when the sound pans across the front from L-R. most of the movie audio is in the center channel.

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

jbl s series center channel is supposed to be pretty good, from what ive read on these forums and other places.

6. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have a JBL S-Center and find it to be a remarkable speaker. However, it's pretty much impossible to find right now outside of Ebay, given that the speaker is discontinued.

7. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Those JBL speakers look pretty nice. I've always liked JBL. Maybe I'll get some of those for my 2nd system someday. But first, I must find a 1024 x 768 projector for just over $1000 that does really good with HD and DVD. :|