What's new

Center Channel sitting atop a Wega 36FS13 (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Equipment:
mains - Monitor 7's
surrounds - Mini-Monitors
center - CC-370
tv - KV-36FS13
Here is my problem, the buttons across the top of the Wega's case won't allow me to place the center channel hanging over the edge (as others have suggested for accoustic reasons) and may even force me to push it back an inch or so. Is this going to hinder the CC from sounding very good? Secondly, the area on the top of the FS13 isn't very large, so I'm worried that as I push it back I'm going to risk it flipping back and sliding off, should consider building a shelf for it? I can't go from the ground, but I can rest it on 4 places on the chassis of the set, couldn't I (two up top and then two at an angle on the back, with velcro or supersticky tape)?
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26 , then click on "Larger Front View"
Edit: I was contemplating just sticking the speaker into the Wega Stand below the TV, but I've heard pretty bad things about enclosing speakers in an entertainment center, which this would be akin to.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
My 32" wega has the same front. Before that, my center was inside an enclosure and it sounded kinda bad. Here's what I did with my center ch.

I sat the speaker on top of the wega so that I had just enough space left to hit the buttons. Now, there was clearly a whole lotta speaker hanging off the back and it was unstable. I took a heavy pair of black wool socks and propped them under the back end of the center, resting on the back of the TV's shroud. It's real stable and you can't see the socks unless your looking super close. Since people usually don't see the profile of the TV and tend to look at it staright on, the overhang in the back is not noticible at all.

The sound is fine.

I hope this helps.

--Steve

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
I too had this problem...only difference was that I have the 32" Vega. As you know that CC370 is a beast, but sounds great. On my FS13 the buttons across the top of the TV are placed on a bevel just below the top of the TV...allowing you to place something on top of the TV without having it interfere with the buttons. So if your FS13 is like mine you could place it on top of the TV but won't have access to the buttons.
The only thing is that if you place this specific CC on top of a TV you'll need to angle it down for best results. (I'm all about best results! :D ) And as you mentioned putting the CC underneath in an entertainment center is less than ideal. This coupled with the fact that I live in earthquake country meant that I needed some kind of shelf...so I built a flexy stand for my TV with a top shelf. It works great! I got the idea from the DIY forum. If you look up "flexy rack" you'll find a lot of info and pics!
Here's kinda what my flexy looks like (this is Ryan's flexy), except that the rods at the four corners extend up another 30" or so to allow another shelf to be placed at the top:
Link Removed
Here's another one; very complex flexy rack: (My flexy looks like the center "section", where the TV is. I don't have the ones on either side.) The bluemarine site is a little temperamental...it may or maynot work.
http://www.bluemarine.com.au/mark/ma...%20current.JPG
And here's a close up of the left side:
http://www.bluemarine.com.au/mark/setup%20left.JPG
Another option is if your TV sits in front of a wall, as most do, you could build a shelf from the wall that extends over the TV. Just an idea.
Ed

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Andrew. Great point. Even though I made sure I have enough room to get to the buttons. I really don't need to get to those buttons.
But who knows? What if we lose our remotes? :D
--S

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32" Wega and also have a large CC. The solution that provides me with correct positioning, stable placement, access to buttons and solves a small shielding problem is the Lovan Center Director
I am running the Vienna Acoustics Maestro which is comparable in size to the Paradigm 370. The stand works great and its affordable.
How often does that happen?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use those buttons once in a while, so I left about half of them exposed on my KV32FV26. No issues so far.

The Lovan looks nice, but I mounted my center with some foam tape that keeps it from sliding around, allows me to angle it down, and decouples it at the same time, and only cost me a few $$. I'm not 100% sure it would stay there in an earthquake, but it's been fine for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks