Center Channel Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Lin, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Andrew Lin

Andrew Lin Extra

Hey guys, I wanted to know what you guys would recommend for a center channel that would go well with my Polk RT35s and a Velodyne Sub.

I had orginally looked in to the Polk CC-370 however my dad wants to get a smaller, less imposing sub. He looked into a Bose center channel, a very thin (in comparision to the CC-370) as a replacement.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend in place of the CC-370 as well as the Bose. Thanks!

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

If you have the Polk RT35i's for mains, stick with Polk for the center so that your front speakers are timbre matched. The best match for the RT35i's, according to Polk's website, is the CS245i... however, the CS400i uses the same size drivers as the RT35i's and would probably be the better match. Either way, you can't go wrong. I just got a CS245i last week, and couldn't be more pleased.

Don't get the Bose unless you really like thin lifeless sound from your system. The small footprint might seem nice, but will never sound as good as speakers from other manufacturers in that same price range. Keep in mind that up to 60% of the sound comes from your center channel during DD/DTS playback, so don't skimp on a good speaker.

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

You'll want to stick to the same brand and even the same series, to get best timbre matching. If you can, choose a center channel speaker with the same mid/woofer and tweeter as your main speakers so you won't get any weird anamolies when the sound pans from side to side. I'm not particularly familiar with Polk speakers but Jeremy has provided some useful information. I'd also echo his bit about BOSE...stay away from it [​IMG]