Center channel recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar_R, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I have a relative that works at Best Buy that has offered to help me upgrade my system with his employee discount.

The only components I feel are lacking in my system are the center channel and my subwoofer. I'm dead set on upgrading to an SVS sub, so that's out of the question for Best Buy.

Looking at their website the best center channel they seem to offer is a JBL 3-Way Center-Channel speaker.

seems to retail for $250, so my guess would be I can probably get that discounted to about half of that price.

Any comments on this speaker or anything else on that page would be greatly apreciated.

Current setup

Denon 2802

Keff main speakers

400 Watt Adcom amp for the main speakers

Bose(flame on) bookshelf speakers for the back sorrounds

Sony SAWM40 sub

Thanks

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I know it's a non-SVS question or rant. Just need some opinions.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

A center speaker that is heavily discounted, even free, is not worth it if it does not closely match the main speakers. Since you have Keff (or is that KEF?) speakers for your mains, find a center speaker by KEF that is similar in design to your main speakers.

Michael

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

The JBL is nice but you really need a Kef center. If Best Buy has any amps that can be had you will need one for your sub or subs, unless you get the pc model.

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'm currently using the S-center and have been very happy with it. Got it on-line for $141 shipped. If you're putting together a budget system and timbre matching isn't an issue then I think you'd be VERY happy with it.

I've used both my JBL and Denmark towers up front with it and had NO timbre matching issues. Perhaps my ears aren't as sensitive as others. I also use KLH's for the back center channel and my "hybrid" system sounds GREAT to me. Good luck deciding...Mike

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    KEF are definitely NOT part of a budget system, and you WILL hear a difference with a center that is not at least similar. Personally, I would not do it.
    Mike -