What's new

Center Channel Recommendations (1 Viewer)

4fit?

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I am in need of a center channel speaker that can handle the 150 watts that my receiver throws at the front 3 speakers. However, I need this speaker to be no more than 4.75" tall due to clearance issues. I also need it to be in the "very affordable" category. I have found a few that fit the size requirements, but they are only rated at a 100-120 max watts. I really want to stay in the sub $100 range. I know that I'm not going to get a great speaker for that price, but I don't need a great speaker for this room.

The ones I have looked at that do fit the size/price requirements but don't fit the power bill are:
Dayton CCS-33B
Yamaha NS-C125
Polk Audio RM6752

My current setup is Technics 12" 3way cabinets up front and Infinity rear surrounds with no center channel or sub. These are being driven by a recently purchased Kenwood KR-V7080 receiver.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or comments.

-Jeff-

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about the power rating, it is worse to underpower a speaker than to over power it and receiver manufacturers are notorious for over rating their power output. Instead, I would worry more about timbre matching the center to the fronts. Unfortunately, unless the center is matched by the manufacturer to the fronts, you have to do this by trial and error. If the store you are purchasing from has a good return policy, I'd bring each one home and give it a listen. Pick the one that sounds best with your fronts. When the front 3 speakers are not timbre matched, it can really effect side to side sound pans and the like.

4fit?

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the reply. If it is going to be that big of a headache to get a decent center channel to go with my fronts, I will probably just run it in phantom mode and for-go(sp?) the center channel at this time. I certainly don't want to get rid of my front cabinets. Happen to know if Technics make a center channel speaker?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That receiver is rated for 100w x 3 for the front, not 150, and 100 is probably optimistic as well.

I would also say just stick with Phantom center also because you aren't likely to find a matching center. A speaker that size isn't going to improve anything anyway, because you will be severely limited in your selection to small and likely less than stellar performing ones, as you've already found.

4fit?

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
You are correct, it is 100x3. I was reading the wrong brochure. At a later date, I may pick up a matching 3 piece front set and just run my Technics on the B terminals. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks