1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Center Channel Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris Svensson, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Chris Svensson

Chris Svensson Auditioning

I'm looking for a decent but fairly inexpensive (under $400-$500) center channel to connect to a Sony 5000ES receiver.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

What are you using for the mains?

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Simple.

Cost is irrelevant, but it needs to match your main L/R speakers, either exactly, or at least in terms of sonics.

Another of the same speaker would be the best choice, but vertical mains are hard to place as centers which like to be horizontal, so next best choice is to get the matching center, assuming there is one for your mains.

And if your mains don't have a matching center, then its a real crap shoot.

BGL

4. Matt Lane

Matt Lane Agent

I have a JVC HTiB. Are you guys saying that it would be pointless to buy the Bose VCS-10 Center Channel Speaker?

I have not seen a seperate JVC center speaker.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The VCS-10 is a decidedly second-tier center channel. Regardless of your view of Bose overall, there have been many reports of speech being difficult to understand when using this as a center channel.

I don’t know much about JVC speakers, so I can’t advise on getting a similar speaker for your center channel. A very good choice that does not cost too much is the Rocket
    ELT center channel, which cost $300.

I have heard this as a part of the overall ELT system, and while I can't vouch for how it would sound with your system, it is a very fine speaker for that price.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would avoid Blose in all cases. They make a decent speaker not to say that, but the quality of the speaker it terrible, and they do not provide all the facts, not to mention the price is not worth it.

Take a look around a place like Bestbuy for center channels. You should try to match it the best you can with the JVC, but if you can't then best bet is just to get something in your budget.

7. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

If you are willing to spend about $400 for a center, might as well save up some more and get the Polk RT series speakers and get 5-6 speakers to have the right HT setup.

As I was starting my HT hobby, I've spent kinda wasted $$$ by purchasing different brands of speaker and put it all together. Good thing that I was able to sell my items to stereo listeners.

8. Chris Svensson

Chris Svensson Auditioning

My current mains are a/d/s L300e bookshelf speakers currently (probably about 6 to 7 years old now).

So you're suggesting looking for an a/d/s center?

9. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Yes and it does not have to be a "center" if you can get the exact same speaker (used) you can use that for a center and as well as surrounds.

10. GregoryKoz

GregoryKoz Auditioning

Klipsch RC3-2 has worked very well for me!

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Avoid that Bose center speaker at all costs. I had one for awhile to attempt to match some 15 year old Bose 601 towers before I upgraded the entire speaker system. The VCS-10 is a horrible sounding speaker. Everything sounds muffled, as if a burlap bag had been placed over a decent sounding speaker. They are using a single driver to attempt to reproduce the entire audible sound spectrum, and fail miserably in the attempt. It's not worth 10% of the price it's being sold for.

I sold the entire Bose setup -- old 601's, VCS-10, and two 201 surrounds -- to a co-worker for about $250. He used them for a couple of years before upgrading to an AR HC-6 5.1 speaker setup for about $500. The biggest improvement he noticed, even with this low-cost setup, was the vast improvement of the center speaker.

On a side note, he sold the entire Bose setup on Ebay and actually made a profit of about $100. If nothing else, Bose does have a good resale value.