What's new

Center Channel Question (1 Viewer)

I have two floor standing onkyo speakers and i set them to stereo sound obviously, but if i bought a center channel speaker, can i get the vocals out of it without having two surrounds. So i will be using three speakers. Obviously i cant get dolby digital. Will the sounds be misplaced?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Alexander,

Yes, if you don't have surround speakers (yet), you can still get center sound. This can be achieved either by Dolby Pro-Logic or Dolby Digital. Most receivers will have a setting that allows you to declare 'no surrounds'. It may be labeled "3-way", or so.

Of course you won't get "real DD" (yet), but it certainly will be better than you may think now!

On a personal note: I think I would consider adding two surrounds first, if possible, and the center later. If your receiver/decoder has a 'no center' setting, the two main speakers will be able to replace the function of the center speaker in a really acceptable way. The effect of the surrounds will dramatically enhance your DD experience.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks