What's new

Center Channel Question (1 Viewer)

MattRizz

Auditioning
I picked up a surround sound speaker package not too long ago. The question I have is, the way the speakers are set up is they have a satelite speaker set up as the center channel speaker, so all five speakers are the same. The sound out of all the satelite speakers is great, but I was wondering if it would be a big differance if I replaced the satelite speaker with an actual center channel speaker. How much of a difference will it make?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you replaced it with a better center channel from the same manufacturer that is timbre matched to your current speakers, it would probably sound better. If you get a center that is not timbre matched, the tone of the speaker will probably not match that of your mains and it may sound worse, especially during right to left or left to right sound pans. It is fairly important to have your front 3 speakers timbre matched so you have a soundstage that is seamless. A different tonal quality from your center will not be seamless.

MattRizz

Auditioning
I have noticed that the center channel seems a little soft. Would getting a new reciever help more than getting a different center channel speaker since my speakers are new? My reciever is a few years old, it supports Dolby Digital, but it is about 6-7 years old. I was thinking of getting a new reciever, do you think this will help more?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated your system using a SPL meter and test tones? This is the usual cause of center speaker softness. A modern A/V receiver allows you to adjust individual speaker levels (aka calibration) to make sure all speakers are outputting the same volume level for the same test tone. This ensures that no speaker is louder or softer than any other for any given sound. See the Primer for details.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree 100% with jeff's responses, but i'll toss in my .02.

definitely make sure you calibrate and make sure all your speakers are outputting the same volume. that alone may take care of your problem.

otherwise, go ahead and get a better center speaker. like jeff said, try to get from the same brand/model line if possible.

timbre matching is important, but if you're not happy with your center speaker, i think you may find getting a new one useful. the center speaker is the most important speaker in ht. if your ears are so good that you can hear the tonal difference between the speakers, then you'll know your modified setup won't work and you can always return the new speaker.

but, if you don't hear a difference in tonal quality, and the new center speaker sounds better - then you're golden.

anyway, bottom line -- it won't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks