What's new

Center channel placement..... (1 Viewer)

Dallas_R

Auditioning
After a recent trip to my wife's uncles and experiencing his HT, I had to have one. So I purchased Panasonics PT-AE500U and ordered a screen. My ceiling is 8' high and with the screen being 72"x96" this only leaves me about 2' under the screen for my center. Will this give me good sound if I'm sitting on a standard couch and what distance should I be seating at. The room I will be using for this is 12' wide, 13' long.

Thanks

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You should probably try to angle it up a little toward your listening position, but I think you should be fine.

PhillJones

Second Unit
I've seen or rather heard systems like this. I shouldn't worry about it. That's where the speakers are in big comercial theaters. You should experiment with tilting it upwards slightly to see what give the best 'image' and sounds most natural. Remeber, there are few rules and most of those don't apply in all cricumstnces so do what sounds best.

The only thing I'd warn against is putting a speaker straight on the floor. Some kind of spikes or mini stand will improove the sound.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you also considered above the screen? Some designers say above the screen is preferred, and that below is the worst position. Just a thought.

JeromeB

Agent
Recently spoke with a professional HT company (way over the top, wanted 25K for a bare bones system!!) but never the less I did get some info. In regards to center channel he favored below screen mount with upward tilt. He was not as enamored with the audio screens.

In regards to screens if I could ask:
I am considering a permanent fixed wall mount (16:9 about 100¡¨ diag). The Da-Lite choices cause my vision to go blurry
„XDa-Snap
„XCinema Contour
„XPerm-Wall
„XImager
„XPro Imager Vertical Masking System
„XPro Imager Horizontal Masking System

Any recommendations on screen and frame finish. I am looking at a good projector, e.g. InFocus Screenplay 7200, thus light output should be reasonable. Ambient light is controllable so I assume basic Da-Mat finish should be just fine. If you are switching between 16:9 and 4:3, is it worth the cost of a masking system? In other words is having your HDTV image framed a significant bonus? I understand that this is primarily a personal preference but any thoughts would be great.

Regards,
-jb

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I also use under screen placement angled up, it is closer to the level of the mains. In the above position the center would be too high and imaging may be off balanced, thats my experience anyway.

Welcome to HTF Dallas. :)

PierreAC

Auditioning
If you do not plan on closing your screen (depends on the room) you can get screens that allow sound to pass through them. Then you simply set up your center at optimal height behind the screen, and voila.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks