Center Channel Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pezzo, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I recently built an addition to my TV stand to accommodate my center channel. Currently I have the Connoisseur C-C1 but will be getting the C-C3 when it come out. I have the C-C1 on top of my TV (Sharp 36 inch) but the C-C3 is to big, hence the addition I built. In preparation for the new speaker I installed the addition last night and movies didnt sound as loud. I expected it to sound much better but this wasn't the case. I was wondering if putting the center channel below the TV was a bad idea. If so I have a big problem when I get the C-C3. The C-C1 is a good speaker but I wanted something with a little more power that was in the same line as the rest of my speakers. They are:

Connoisseur C-7's for fronts
    Connoisseur C-1's for surrounds
    Energy S8.2 sub
    Denon AVR 3803 receiver

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Just a guess. Are the Energy centers rear ported? Does your stand addition place the speaker inside of a cabinet instead of being more in open space on top of the TV? Rear ported speakers generally sound better when they have some breathing room and you may be kind of stuck here. Perhaps someone else will have a creative suggestion.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

The C-C1 is front ported and Energy says this allows for placement in less then optimal settings. I did consider this to the problem though. I actually left the back of the cabinet open on purpose because the C-C3 is rear vented.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhh... I'm a bit confused.

What kind of 'addition' did you make and where is the new position for the CC1?

I'm going to assume you now have the center speaker at knee height in front of the TV.

Speakers throw a sound pattern like a D-cell flashlight: very bright/loud dead center with a sudden drop-off as you move away from the center.

If you moved your center speaker to a stand in front, but did not do anything to tilt it up to point at your head, the bright/loud pattern is likely hitting around your knees. Your head is now in the dimmer/quieter area of the sound field. Rubber door wedges, paper-back books or pink-rubber erasers all make good feet and can give you some tilt.

Get a laser pen and use it to see where the center speaker is pointing. (Tape the button down and roll it on a table and make sure the spot of light moves back and forth instead of little circles. This insures the beam is aligned with the pen body).

Also, with any speaker movement or alignment change, get out the SPL meter and check the levels. Use your receivers setup menu to add/subtract volume so all speakers produce the same volume at your listening position.

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Andrew, if your center channel is higher then your seating position and not "tilted down" toward you you will not get the best sound. When I built my theater I opted to put the center channel directly below the screen on a stand that tilts the speaker slightly upward. I have an Energy AC-300 and it works just great! In fact...I like the sound better then when I used to have it ontop of the TV when setup in another room! [​IMG]

E

6. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

The addition I made is basically a box on top of the current tv stand to put the center channel into. I left the back of the box open due the C-C3 having rear vents. I do have an SPL meter but havent figured out how to use it correctly yet. I need to do some tweaking but thanks for the help everyone!

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This link to our HTF Primer: Home Theater means Accuracy and Calibration should give you a good starting point of how to use your SPL meter.