Center channel placement with RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Jewett, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Dave Jewett

Dave Jewett Agent

Hello,

Not quite sure where this thread belongs, but I'll post it here since it has to do with TVs. [​IMG]

I'm looking at upgrading my current 32" CRT TV to something quite a bit larger, probably around 55-57" or so, rear projection CRT. However, I've got a Swan Diva C3 center channel that weighs about 40 pounds, and as such I'm not sure if I could safely set it on top of the new TV. Right now it's sitting on top of my entertainment center, which has a solid wood top so weight is not a problem. If possible I'd like to avoid buying a large wall unit and just get a separate rack for my A/V gear instead. For those of you with RPTVs and heavy center speakers, how do you deal with placement?

Thanks,

Dave

2. John S

John S Producer

I did what most here really hate, I placed a speaker on each side of the display. Seems to work well. Once I move and get it all into a dedicated HT room, I will place one above somehow and one below the screen. I use the same speaker in all positions though.

3. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

Some have built shelves over the rptv,and aimed the speaker down.
    Or put the speaker on a stand in front of rptv and aim speaker up.Put it below where the remote sensor on the set is,so the remote control works.

4. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Do like I do and put it on the floor aimed up at the listening position.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DONT use two like that you'll get bad combing effects.

Either on a stand below the set, or use some type of shelf to distribute the weight on the set, it shouldn't cause a problem if the set is marginally sturdy. Or you can make some kind of large shelf thing of some sort.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

For now my Platinum Audio Speaker sits on top of the t.v. with a piece of wood set the back of the t.v. under the back portion of the speaker. It does distribute the weight. I will build a shelf and point it downward.