center channel placement - on top of components?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Foley, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

Topic says it all. Would it be ok to use a VCR or DVD player to support my center channel? I'm not concerned about the structural support, the speaker isn't that heavy, I'm just wondering if there would be any interference?

2. Louis_Cipher

Louis_Cipher Auditioning

Assuming the CC is shielded (most are) no.

3. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    I have my center channel sitting on top of my Wega TV. The only problem that shows up is when I'm playing a really great sounding music DVD (like Peter Gabriel's PLAY) and when the volume is between -12 to -5 there is noticeable "rhythmic" disturbances in the upper part of the picture on the TV. I should somehow minimize the "shockwave" of the center channel on the TV. Don't know what that would do to a VCR or DVD player.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wouldn't think the VCR would be a good idea, because if it affects your TV, it will affect your VHS tapes too.

This wouldn't happen to be a JBL center would it? I've heard of this problem before. How far away do you have to move the center before the problem stops?

It doesn't have to be a component, most anything should work just to put distance between the two. I read in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook that galvanized steel sheet should work as well.

5. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

I will be using a JBL EC35 for the center. I'm setting up a new theater and instead of having the center mounted to the ceiling, I want it lower (the screen will be lower too). How about lifting it off the VCR or DVD player with hockey pucks? It would give it about an inch of space.