What's new

Center Channel on ceiling mounted speakers (1 Viewer)

dnebout

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nebout
Hello All,

Brand new here and just so you know, I haven't had a surround sound system in 10 years. Just built a new home and have roughed in 7 ceiling cans for speakers. I understand that the front center channel is very important for voice. I'm looking at buying Sonance VP62r speakers but want to know what you would use for the Front Center Channel. Should I upgrade? If I don't will the vocals be lost in my 25 x 15 with 12 foot ceiling room?

Thanks,
Dave

Real Name
Alexander
Not familiar with new Sonance models however, unless the speakers offer some kind of acoustical tricks, the sound will be disconnected and very skewed towards the ceiling, instead of more centered or level with ur likely lower monitor/screen! If so, the center channel is indeed you're most important speaker in system anyway (al though front mains n sound stage are very important n should all match for most solid sound stage. Ideally matching all three. That said, if you are set on only ALL ceiling mounted, id likely FIRST CHOICE in getting a very good higher end n reviewed soundbar to conver the mains! ..and then simply use ceiling speakers up front as ATMOS channels! This keeps height n steering solid and cohesive, and the less important surrounds will just be EQd to sound close to main center/sound bar. Otherwise , yes, find a matching Larger Sonance center , n put it just above ur monitor or screen, about 4 feet from ceiling. Should work well as compromise.
I'd definitely use some good DSP based room eq , ESPECIALLY with ceiling mounted speakers! Cupped hands sounding n bass peaks abound near ceilings n corners. YES, EQ!!!
Good luck

dnebout

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nebout
Hi Alexander,

I'm not as versed in things AV as I'd like to be, so please excuse some of my questions.
  • The only "special trick" that the Sonance speakers have is the tweeter and woofer can be directed. I'm assuming that will help my cause.
  • When you say "mains", do you mean the front 3 speakers in a 7.1 system?
  • If I get a quality soundbar, will it include the front right, center and front left or just the center? If so, do I eliminate the front 3 ceiling speakers?
  • Will the higher end Marantz and Denon receivers push Dolby Atmos to the 7 ceiling speakers I have and run the sound bar at the same time?
  • Should I buy a 7.1 or a 9.1 receiver to make the 7 ceiling speakers and the soundbar work?
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Real Name
Alexander
Dnebout,
In your circumstance, as u plan ceiling speaker locations around the room, i would simply prob continue with the ceiling install ( unused channels wired can be used at another date by you or next owner, future changes, etc), and simply use left n right front ceiling channels as potential 9.1 ATMOS height speakers, yes. Then I'd use back ceiling spkrs as intended surrounds. I would NOT personally use ceiling center! ( although you can continue cutting in ceiling center fer future application option)
As I inferred previously, I would indeed recommend a PASSIVE 3 CHANNEL highly reviewed soundbar to handle ALL THREE MAIN L/C/R channels, yes! Good ones sound cohesive and very good overall (even w music) and do surround envelopment trick very effectively, typically! Plus easier to position the single unit fer best sound vs 3 separate speakers for most! ( ur receivers EQ will help greatly though n strongly recommended) This anchors the dialogue n soundstage, is already designed to be effective n balanced across the mains, n all will timber match n sound unified, yes! Much better choice than mounting ur mains n center on ceiling. I know, I've seen many of these installations plus done a quite a few.
Again , otherwise my next choice is stick w your original plan, but use close to matching dedicated sonance

Real Name
Alexander
Sorry..cut off.
Anyway, matching sonance center ,if not. Its just going to perform compromised if u go center in ceiling speaker, vs one down near your monitor, I assure u.
For receiver, might as well get the biggest n strongest output 7.1/9.1 w dolb Atmos front heights your budget will allow( you get a lot of receiver for under $2k new). If room is small to medium, u might get away with 5.1 plus Atmos front heights designed receiver, since you do have the speakers for it. Your choice. Not sure if you have sub questions?? Seating or speaker location questions?? But hope that helps

Real Name
Alexander
Oh and , yes, the two back rears , the two side surrounds, plus the integrated 3 ch surround soundbar, PLUS the extra atmos speakers up front ( ur original intended left n right front ceiling spks), ALL get driven (as small) by your receiver!( if ur not sure which receiver drives n processes all the speakers ur using, consult sales guy, or review online first before buying)
I've lost touch with current models, n they keep adding channels n processing over the years! Lol. Hard to keep up.
Still, when running n installing loudspeakers n seating, its better to focus on quality over quantity if u must compromise with lower end powered receivers, and lots of randomly placed speaker locations in play!
Problem becomes that getting all speaker locations to EACH indiv sound good from where u sit n in relation to room acoustics is most always a problem for fidelity! So its what it is. More not necessarily better!! Definitely use the EQ or DSP Audyssey n such, regardless.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hello All,

Brand new here and just so you know, I haven't had a surround sound system in 10 years. Just built a new home and have roughed in 7 ceiling cans for speakers. I understand that the front center channel is very important for voice. I'm looking at buying Sonance VP62r speakers but want to know what you would use for the Front Center Channel. Should I upgrade? If I don't will the vocals be lost in my 25 x 15 with 12 foot ceiling room?

Thanks,
Dave

Ok so what exactly are you looking for? a simple 5.1, 7.1 or something else?
What is your budget?
What gear do you already have?
When do you plan on buying?

dnebout

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nebout
Hi ArmSC,
I want a 7.2 surround system with the extra option of an additional 2 channels to accommodate 1 Zone for stereo outside my patio. The room is approximately 18' x 28' with 12' ceilings and has been prewired for 7.1 in the ceiling. I'm not stuck on any equipment at this time but am looking at the Sonance VP62R speakers. Have not chosen a receiver but maybe the Denon or Marantz for about $2,000 bucks. Have not chosen a sub either.
I would love some recommendations with a budget of + or - $4,500.

dnebout

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nebout
Hi AVAlexander. Thank you for your advice. i think I absorbed most of it but found it difficult to understand what you were saying at times.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hi ArmSC,
I want a 7.2 surround system with the extra option of an additional 2 channels to accommodate 1 Zone for stereo outside my patio. The room is approximately 18' x 28' with 12' ceilings and has been prewired for 7.1 in the ceiling. I'm not stuck on any equipment at this time but am looking at the Sonance VP62R speakers. Have not chosen a receiver but maybe the Denon or Marantz for about $2,000 bucks. Have not chosen a sub either.
I would love some recommendations with a budget of + or - $4,500.

Ok so you want a 9.2 AVR with zone 2 capability. I don't know that I can help with the speakers as I don't know a lot about in ceiling/wall speakers. I personally wouldn't use them except for Atmos speakers. I especially think this is a mistake for the front three. However, I'm not trying to be too critical as it's your system not mine.

For the AVR I would look at the Denon X4300H $1300 as it seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for.

For sub it just depends what you have left in your budget. That's a good size room so you'll need some decent subs. I thinking a pair of entry/mid level SVS, HSU or Rythmik should do the trick. You could also go for a single PSA or duals if you have the budget for it. It's hard because I don't know what your speakers will cost you.

Real Name
Alexander
Lol. Sorry. I can see what I'm trying to say might be confusing.
Basically, if you plan on installing veiling speakers, I say continue! Just use the sound bar as a L/C/R ch all in one speaker instead! Will perform much better (use remaining back n side ceiling speakers as surrounds n atmos for front 2 cellings) typically. As another option, just use ceiling spkrs as originally intended n just substitute a matching Sonance -er which brand ur using all around - traditional box center channel instead of ceiling mounted in wall center! Keep that anchored near top of screen/ monitor.
Hope that helps

dnebout

Auditioning
Real Name
David Nebout
OK. That's what I think I'll do Front R/C/L on wall and 4 surrounds in ceiling.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
You will find that setup will create a rather skewed sound stage, as noted by Alexander. Ceiling speakers are fine for music and such played in the background but not desirable if you wish to have an accurate sound stage for music and movies (unless you are using Atmos). However, maybe that is not important to you and if it is not , then never mind.

CupertinoCiaran

Auditioning
Real Name
John Wick
Hello All,

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, I would love to know what you finally ended up doing as I have a similar situation.

Thanks
CFD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks