What's new

Center channel noise -- blown speaker or just too small? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My system is Polk Audio R10 mains and surrounds, CS175i center and PSW350 subwoofer hooked to an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver with the Panasonic DVD-RV31K, all speakers set to small and calibrated with Avia and an SPL meter. Tonight we were watching Titan A.E. in DTS at a decent volume (-8 from reference), and I kept noticing a noise from my CS175i. Whenever there was bass originating from the center channel, it made this loud crackling sound. So I turned off my subwoofer and checked... and sure enough, while all the other speakers are handling this level of sound with no problems, the center makes this god-awful static-like crackling noise.
Now, I've noticed it in the past, but it was never as loud as it was tonight. I know it isn't the receiver or DVD player, because it did this with my JVC receiver/GE DVD player as well. I tried replacing the wire (Monster Cable 12ga in-wall wiring, used outside of the wall because the insulation is WHITE), but the problem was still there. I also tried turning the center channel off to see if this made the mains crackle from the same level of bass, but they handled it fine.
So is what I'm hearing a blown speaker, or am I just expecting too much from the CS175i? My HT is 10'L x 14'W x 8'H, and I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting for this room, but the crackling has become really bothersome. The R10s use the same tweeter/driver setup as the CS175i, so I don't understand why they would be able to handle it and the CS wouldn't. Anyone got any advice or things I should check?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
On my old JVC it was set to 80hz, and my new Onkyo is 80hz. The +/-3db of the CS175i is 60hz, so I figured 80hz was a safe crossover for it. I don't think that it's getting too much bass, because I turned my surrounds to NONE and put one of the R10's on the center channel and it didn't make the crackling noise. I guess the damn thing is just blown.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are all your speakers set to the same reference level?
Though it should be capable of acceptable bass, I think it should be set to small. If that doesn't remedy it, try hooking one of your other speakers to the center output. If it does the same thing, you may have a receiver problem (which I doubt).
It is likely a problem with the speaker or just that it is getting too much bass, as mentioned. I have a feeling the crossover or one of the drivers has committed suicide.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
John, yes all speakers are set to 75db with Avia and all are set to small. I hooked one of my R10's to the center channel and it didn't distort at all, so I'm pretty sure it's a blown driver.
And let me say this: POLK AUDIO TECHNICAL SUPPORT KICKS ASS! They saw my message on their Club Polk board and are sending me a replacement driver by 2-day air to see if it fixes the problem. YAY!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And let me say this: POLK AUDIO TECHNICAL SUPPORT KICKS ASS! They saw my message on their Club Polk board and are sending me a replacement driver by 2-day air to see if it fixes the problem. YAY!
That's good to hear. Always good when a manufacturer stands behind their product, and puts forth the effort to keep their customers happy. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks