Center channel mid-range driver question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Evan M., Jan 25, 2004.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Hey guys, quick question. Will a center channel with a 4 1/2" mid range driver give noticeably more depth to dialogue than a center channel with a 3 1/2" mid range driver? It seems to me that the tweeter and mid driver does a lot of the work with dialogue and I want something that will give me as much depth as possible. Is there anything else that sould be factored in?

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Matching the timber to the rest of your speakers - especially your mains. And you can't do that in the showroom. You [rant]have[/rant] to bring it home to do that; if at all possible.

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Thank you for the reply Stephen.
    Let me give a little more info on the subject. I just bought a used Boston acoustic vr920 from Tweeter. It has a Lynfield tweeter, a 3 1/2" mid range and two 4x6" eliptical bass drivers. I have Boston Vr 3 mains. They have a vrHo tweeter (aluminum like the Lynfield) a 4 1/2" mid and two 7 1/2" bass drivers. The center that technicaly matches my mains, which is the new Vr line for Boston is the vrc. It has the same vrho tweeter, the same 4 1/2" mid and two 4 1/4" bass drivers. It is also 3db's more efficient than the 920. The 920 I have now seems to sound very similar to my old center that shared the same tweeter plus had no mid but had two 3 1/2" bass drivers. The 920 seems to be timbre matched with my mains but it just does not have that depth that I though it would.
    Does anyone think that moving to the vrc that has a 4 1/2" mid plus a 93db efficiency as opposed to the 920 that has a 3 1/2" mid and a 90db effiency would give me more depth to dialogue? For action scenes the 920 is excellent but it just seems to lack the bottom end when it comes to dialogue. Any help would be great.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Anyone.....[​IMG]
    Not tring to be a pain in the arse......it is just my return window will be coming to an end soon and I do not want to get stuck.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I don't think there would be a huge increase in depth but it might be a little noticeable.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

It all depends on the quailty of the drivers, crossovers, and implementation (design). Take a given 3 way center like the JBL S-center and you can find many 2 way centers that beat it for dialogue clarity because they are simply higher quality (and usually more expensive). 3-way is not necesarily better than 2-way, even in the same price range. You just have to try it out and see.