center channel matches for magnepan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam D, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Sam D

Sam D Auditioning

I have an old pair of Magnepan SMGa's which I really enjoy. I've noticed that Magnepan sells a center channel speaker for around $900 which is very lower bass limited. Seeing as I spent about $300 on my SMGa's about 10 years ago (bought used), that is too much for too little, in my opinion.

So, does anyone own Magnepans but use a different brand center channel that matches the Magnepans well?

Thanks!

2. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

Sam,

I've got a pair of Magnepan MG1.6QR speakers for my front left and right channels. In the center and rear I use speakers made by Cambridge Sound Works. The center channel model number is MC500 and the rears are model number S300. I have found this entire setup to work extremely well together and does not draw attention to any given speaker. I ordered the speakers online and had 45 days to try them out in my home.

3. Sam D

Sam D Auditioning

Thanks. Another question - do you use a subwoofer?

4. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

I use a pair of MG3.6R for the front, a MGCC2 center, a pair of MGMC1 for rears and a pair of SVS 20-39CS+ for subs... incredible system for both audio and HT.

5. Sam D

Sam D Auditioning

Luis - sounds nice, what crossover points do you use? Do you use one of those outlaw crossover doohikeys?

6. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

The Outlaw is a nice unit but I am using a prototype pre-pro being developed for CES release. It has a "true" bass management system where each individual output has selectable crossover points and slope. The center channel is crossed over at 160Hz, the fronts are running full range and the rears are crossed over at 80Hz. The subs are crossed over at 42Hz based on room acoustic analysis.

It is incredibly dynamic, musical and natural sounding, both on music and video. I use this system for everything from multi-channel HT surround to 2-channel and multi-channel music. I couldn't be happier.

7. Sam D

Sam D Auditioning

8. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

Sam,

I don't currently use a sub, but am planning on the same ones Luis mentioned. I've heard a setup similar to Luis' and he's very correct. It's awesome for both movies and music. It was just too expensive for me at the time, but it's where I hope to be one of these days.

9. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

When I had my maggies I used a single MMG on its side. This works really well except that its sweet spot is kind of narrow so if you're room is wide it might not work that well.