What's new

Center channel - is vertical placement ok? (1 Viewer)

RobCole

Grip
We just got a new entertainment unit for the house, and it raised the level of the TV quite a bit. Now if I put my center channel on top of the TV (where it used to be), it's a good 2' above ear level. I'm wondering if it's ok, in terms of sound, to put the center channel vertically next to the television. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if centers were "meant" to be laid on their side (sound dispersion? I dunno), or if it's ok for them to be stood up vertically. Right now this is with an Acoustic Research 225PS center, but in the next week I'll be getting a Dahlquist 60C, so I'm wondering about it as well.

Any opinions?

thanks,
Rob

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
rob,

i too had a high entertainment center for a year or so, and placed my speaker on top and angled down towards my listening position. it worked well at the previous house because the distance i sat from the tv was further away - just right for the angled speaker. in my current house, i have to sit closer, by about 2 feet, and the extreme angle this caused made the center speaker more obvious and not as blended. i changed my set-up and now the center speaker is directly beneath the tv angled up, at a much less drastic angle, and it sounds even better then the set-up at my previous house. also, my center speaker is a klipsch kt-lcr thx speaker designed to be placed vertically, and i have always placed it horizontally. in both set-ups i tried it sitting upright, but it sounded thin. so i would say try every set-up you can and see which one sounds the best.

david

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.