Center channel is too high when on top of TV...Stands for floorstanding speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Kolacz, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I have noticed that the audio in 5.1 movies does not quite pan correctly in my setup.

I have a 61" TV and the center channel is on top of it.

I have some older Infinity Delta 60 floorstanding speakers. I was thinking of getting some stands for these to raise them up about 16 inches to make them even with the center channel. The problem is that the biggest stands that I can find have 8x5" x 8x5" surface.

These speakers are oddly shaped as well. About 9 inches wide in the front. About 5-6 inches wide in the back. And about 12 inches deep.

Any suggestions or just live with it?

2. Dan Kolacz

3. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I'm not too sure if raising the floor standing speakers would help your cause very much at all here. I'm no acoustics expert though. I have some Klipsch tower speakers that stand on their own pretty high but they are not level with my Center Channel that sits on top of my Mitsu 55" RPTV....the Mitsu sits pretty darn high up as well. Panning is accurate for what I have setup. What are you using to process your surround sound and for amplification?? A receiver of some sort?

-J

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps you could try tilting the center channel so it points more towards the listening position.

Although... this sounds more like a problem in your front 3 speakers and how they pair with each other. They should have seamless panning between them. Also could perhaps be a problem with your receiver and the way it's processing the front stage.

Just a possibility.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i also want a speaker stand for small towers for my future ht.
    somebody suggested this :
    http://www.soundanchors.com/page69.html
    i have a baby though. i am worried that with the stand, the speaker could be tipped off easily.

6. Dan Kolacz

I have a Sony DA5ES Receiver.

I used to have a 43" RPTV and the center channel was almost exactly at the height of the tweeters on the floorstanding speakers.

With the 61" TV the center channel is about 18" higher than the tweeters on the fronts.

There is definitly a noticeable "gap" or "disturbance" in the panning of signals across the front soundstage. Now, I notice it, but friends or non-HT type people would probably not notice it.

With my old TV and all at the same height, it sounded much smoother.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Rather than raising the mains, consider lowering the center. I'm seeing more posting folks trying center-on-the-floor as RPTVs become bigger boxes. Whether unwanted sonic reflections are worse on top or below the monitor wud have to be determined.
    Here's a company that makes center speaker stands in three heights tho I think they're pricey, but it's solid ash and lacquered.
    At the very least, one cud temporarily relocate the center to a footstool or something in front of the monitor and try it, given some extra long speaker wire that's available.
    I guess room decor comes into play with a speaker in front of the tv, which means mains ought to be placed even more into the room to achieve the Dolby Golden Circle.

8. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

or dig a hole in the floor and lower the TV... is that a 61" widescreen?

-anyway I second the opinion for a "slight" angling (not fishing) of the center downwards.

9. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

The Klipsch Reference Center I have has a metal post you can screw into the back of it thus angling the center towards the listener. I haven't used it because I can hear all center data perfectly clear. I would like to angle my surround to point down a bit towards the listener. I feel like I'm missing alot of the info since I have my surrounds close to the ceiling and on the sides of a fairly large room. Anyone ever angle their surrounds downwards. Right now, mine are basically pointing at each other. I didn't think much of it because they are the reflective type speakers adn I figured they throw sound just about everywhere. Just some thoughts...

-J

10. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Definatly try putting the center down in front. I read a bunch of posts about people seeing a big difference from on top of the set. I have a 65" mits and am thinking of trying this because the center is so high. I already have it pointed at the listening position but think this may chenge things a lot.
    Marc

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've got the 12" version of the stand that Bill links to - it's not as heavy-duty as I'd like, though it's attractive, and the sound quality has improved in everyway since I pulled it off the top of my TV.
    Uh, I guess it needs to be said, though I wonder why this isn't obvious: TVs DON'T MAKE GOOD SPEAKER STANDS! [​IMG]