What's new

Center Channel Info Has Low Volume (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just hooked up my new Axiom VP100 center channel last night and noticed something right off the bat...the center channel information is being output at a very low volume. Prior to setting up the Axiom center, I was using a JBL N-Center which worked just fine. The dialogue was crisp and the sound effects detailed. Also, I had the level on the JBL center set at +1 on my Yamaha 5250 receiver, whereas with the Axiom, it seems like the information is still output at a low volume even when I raise the center channel level.
So, my question is this...is this speaker damaged or just not "broken in?"
Thanks for the help...
Ron

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
If the sound is simply lower in volume, but not distorted in an obvious way, the speaker is probably ok. What is the sensitivity of the speaker? I recently changed center channels and due to the previous speaker being more sensitive, I had to recalibrate my system, turning the center channel volume up a good 5 decibels.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm guessing here, but since you're using a different speaker, you'll almost certainly have to recalibrate your center channel.
this probably has more to do with the characteristics & design of your new speaker than anything else.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

DonM

Agent
I had JBL speakers and they were extremely efficient. My guess is your new speaker is less efficient. It does not mean it's a bad thing....just that you need to turn up the volume a bit to compensate. Hopefully your amp has enough oomph to drive the new speaker.
------------------
The MATRIX is all around us!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
No, there's no distortion to speak of, just a lower overall volume. I guess I just assumed (there's that word) that because I had to jack up the volume, there must be something wrong with it. Hey, I'm somewhat new at this!
As you can see, the Axiom is more efficient. Anyway, here are the specs...
JBL N-Center:
• Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 150 Watts
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 90dB
• Frequency Response (–3dB): 80Hz –20kHz
Axiom VP100:
Max Amp Power (Watts) 175
Freq Resp +/-3db (Hz) 95-22K
Impedance (Ohms) 8
Room Sens 1w/1m (db) 95
Ted's reply reminded me about their individual characteristics...the JBL (I believe) is ported and the Axiom is acoustic suspension. Maybe that has something to do with it???
I should have enough juice...I'm driving it with a 100 x 5 Yamaha 5250.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
The first thing you need to do is forget about all those numbers and re-calibrate.
If you don't already have it, pick Avia or Video Essentials, go to Radio Shack and get yourself an SPL meter, and go to work calibrating the SPL levels.
When you get done, the most likely result is you won't care about the sensitivity or wattage or any of that stuff anymore. If you have problems calibrating for some reason, maybe then you can start looking at the cause in more detail.
------------------
Dustin A. Davis '94
Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Link Removed
"But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My front speakers all match and I found that I was getting less output from my center channel. Recalibrating them does help. I thought by matching all speakers would give me seamless pans, and they do after calibration. It turned out that the only way I can compensate was to bring all the other speakers to a volume that matched the center on the SPL Meter. That was only about 1.5 to 2 decibles. I can still crank up the volume to reference level just a little more.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
Funny you should say that...I just ordered "Video Essentials" earlier today and was planning on swinging by Radio Shack for an SPL meter tonight after work! How much do they run?
I'm sure you're right. I think I just had this incredible misconception that I would be able to just "plug 'n play" the new center without doing the re-cal. In the world of HT, I should've known better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks