Center channel hunt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clayton_M, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Clayton_M

Clayton_M Extra

Looking for a $150-200 front center channel speaker any good suggestions?

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I just picked up a Polk CS245i last week, and I couldn't be happier with it. Nice sounding center for the price.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Clayton,

I'm sure the other members here would be interested in what you are running for your front left / front right speakers. From there, a recommendation can be made. Just any old center channel speaker might not be good for you due to the differences in timbre, which could be quite obvious.

From my personal experience, I am running 4 in-wall speakers in my listenting / viewing area and recently decided to add a center channel speaker. I purchase the JBL N-Center from Best Buy ($149, but $99 at Buy.Com w/free shipping). For the first week, I was taken aback by the sound that filled the voids in my listening area. Into the second week, I could hear the differences between the speakers which has led to me the point of returning JBL speaker. Instead, I'm going to find another in-wall from my original manufacturer and go with the in-wall instead to keep the sound consistant.

4. Clayton_M

Clayton_M Extra

Well too tell you the truth, I know what my rears are (Boston Acoustic A100 Series3), but my fronts are a pair of Infinity Unknowns, they have no markings. Got them at Costco a few years back. Basicly all my speakers are old. but they still sound good. Looking at replacing them in a year or so. Need a good recevier first.

5. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

If it were me I would decide on what speakers I wanted to upgrade to first. You don't have to buy them now, but you could then buy a center that would match the speakers you were upgrading to in a year. It is very important to match your front left/right speakers to your center speaker.

Regards

KrisM