Center Channel Humming...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bri~A, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

OK... I have a new setup running. KEf Q7s for fronts, Q1's for surrounds, and a Q9c for my center channel running off of a Denon 3803. Setting the c.c. atop my television, I have noticed that powering the TV on causes a very low hum to come from the center channel. Why might this be, and what can I do to elliminate it? The TV in question is a Toshiba 24" TV/DVD/VCR combination (this is not my primary viewing location, but a temporary location i will be at for a while. I know the combos are not the way to go, but in this case I got the TV for free from American Express Rewards and wasn't about to turn it down) The speakers are perfectly silent when the TV is not on. Can this low hum in fact be negatively affecting my sound quality? Thanks for any help available.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have the same problem you are having, but I have a Klipsch RC-3 center. I'd love to know why it makes this noise and how to get rid of it

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have the same problem you are having, but I have a Klipsch RC-3 center. I'd love to know why it makes this noise and how to get rid of it.

4. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Add me to the list. I was just about to post the same problem but found this thread after searching, too bad nobody responded. Any help out there?? I was thinking of maybe using a cheater plug to connect my tv...don't have a clue if that will work.
    I'm also interested in knowing whether this buzzing/humming has an effect on sound quality. BTW, my center channel is buzzing, like an insect noise, I think humming and buzzing signify different problems?

-Brian

5. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Brian (BrianJ>Y),
    I think your "buzzing" assessment of the sound you have may in fact be closer to what I am actually experiencing than the humming I first described at the start of this thread. Let me know if the cheater plug does anything for you. I too would like to know if this is having a negative affect on my sound quality. Just out of curiosity, what kind of TV is causing this problem for you? (Trying to see if there is a common link here.)

Anyone w/ possible solutions or suggestions please let us know as it appears there are a few of us experiencing this. Thanks.

Brian (Bri~A)

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

So does anyone else have this problem? Does it affect sound and is there any way of getting rid of it?

7. BrianJ>Y

I don't know much about cheater plugs, but i've read that if the power cord of the component, in our case the tv, is 2 pronged then a cheater plug is useless. My tv is a 27" Toshiba tube tv, it's about 8 years old and the plug is 2 pronged.

I found out yesterday that my center speaker buzzes even when my receiver is completely unplugged and only the tv is on. Right now I don't have a clue as to how to fix it, but I tried turning the tv on and off to eliminate the buzzing and couldn't notice a difference in sound quality.

I can't hear it unless I put my ears within half a foot up to the speaker, so I may just forget about it. I think that tube tv's tend to cause the problem more so than projections...or there's a problem with the actual power in our homes. When i plug in my receiver and put my ears within inches of it, I can hear the same although very very faint buzzing noise from the receiver. The same happens if I listen closely to the outlet itself, it makes that annoying buzzing noise as well, with nothing plugged into it. This leads me to believe something's wrong with power in my house. How to fix it I don't know...

-Brian

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I will try one more time. I am in a motel on the road using web-tv, yes it sucks, I answered this question 2 times only to get booted off before I was thru.
    Short and sweet, you realise what is happening, interference from your TV, you need to shield it (center) or move it. Now that you have the answer let me know what you did to stop it and I will tell you if you are right. . .

9. BrianJ>Y

Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it could be the tv, but don't have any ideas as to how to stop the interference, shouldn't our center speakers already be shielded so that it doesn't screw up the tv's picture? Do we need a different kind of shielding on top of this?

-Brian