1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Center channel help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ed*Wheaton, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

I am looking to purchase a center channel speaker for my 6.1 system-Are there any good "cheap" speakers that anyone would recommend?Thinking of spending no more than around $150.00 Cdn.I have a Quest center now and will put that in back if I can find a better one to replace it with,otherwise I will get the same again.

Thanks

Ed

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Kef Model 100, second hand. A great centre. Far better than a cheapy centre at $150.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

The point is usually made that the center should have the same tonal qualities as the front l & r. Ideally, the front 3 should be identical. Most times you can find a center with the same drivers as the mains, in a horizontal format. What are your main speakers? Is there a matching center in their line?

You also mention "cheap", less than $150. IMO, don't cheap out on speakers. They are the most influential in the final sound of your system. At least half your system cost should be in speakers.

4. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    I am curious... I haven't really spent much time understanding center speakers as I've focused the majority of my efforts on deciding which l/r speakers to get and whether to keep m hk-7200 (which i have decided to keep). A friend of mine once told me that the sounds that come out of the center is the dialog of a movie. Why then would it be so crucial to have such an identical center as the l/r. Chances are I would get the ascend 340c to go along with the 340 l/r, but I just want to understand. Thanks. [​IMG]

-Johnal

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

If you're on a budget- try and find the best sounding centre..and not necassary the matched centre- the matched centre could be inferior sounding to a centre speaker of another make/brand. It might not pan as well, but at least the centre will sound better.

I've learned that myself...for example the matching centre to previous main speakers would be Kef Q95c. However it sounds bad[​IMG] . Tried out Kef Reference range and in a totally different league [​IMG]

6. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

65% - 75% of all sound in a HT is produced by the center channel. Not only dialog, but quite a bit of sound effects and other related sounds. It is important to match the center tonally to the left and right for seamless panning of sounds. Such as a car driving from one side of the screen to the other. If the center is different tonally, the car will sound different in the center than it does on the left and right. Hope this helps.

James