Center Channel Help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris-E-S, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Chris-E-S

Chris-E-S Auditioning

I recently finished the BR-1 kit from Parts Express and love it. They sound great and the price was unbelievable. I was wondering if there were anymore kits out there similar to this one but a center channel. I would like to be able to timbre match with the BR-1's. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Svence

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Build another BR-1. Use the shielded components and lay the box on it's side

3. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

4. Chris-E-S

Chris-E-S Auditioning

Those look nice, I really liked the second link to the IPEE dayton center. My only concern is the difference between the Silk Dome and the Titanium Tweeter they use. Will it be too harsh compared to the Silk ones the BR-1's have? Thanks.
    -Svence

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

hey ThomasW,
    I'm wondering about your suggestion. I've thought that there are dispersion problems when laying a speaker on it's side for use as a center channel. This is why many designers will move the tweeter or add a mid-range driver or use some other method of compensation. Why is it not a problem in this case?
    Thanks.

6. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

The dayton metal dome will be a little more forward than the silkie but not harsh. I know others have combined these centers with the BR-1 and seemed happy. Ask around on the Parts Express messsage board, there are many there who have a lot of experiance with these dayton drivers. Unfortunately you probibly will not find a dayton center design using the shielded silkie for a little while as it just hit the market a couple months ago.

Also, I have also heard it will negatively effect the sound of a TM if you lay it on its side, but I have nothing to back that up.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Tim

Obviously the 'best' choice would be to use another BR-1 in an upright position if you have the space to do that. Laying it down won't create a big dispersion issue with a TM like it does with a MTM.

8. Chris-E-S

Chris-E-S Auditioning

I was just wondering if anyone had any contact info for Robert and Curt C. from the IPEE webpage. They have no email addresses on there and I have some questions about their design. Thanks.
    -Svence

9. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I know they post over on the PE site, you may be able to find it if you search through their forums.