What's new

center channel help for newbie (1 Viewer)

Archie M

Auditioning
I have a Pioneer HTIB 510, upgraded L/R w/Polk rt52i's. I'm upgrading on a budget so the upgrades aren't quite what I dream for, nor are they timely. Anyway, I decided to get a center channel for myself for Christmas. Not wanting to spend too much I ended up w/a Sony n495. This was such an improvement, made me remember why I want a good HT. Before I got it, I knew you should try and match the speakers but I didn't think it matter much w/what I've got. But while watching tv, it's real distinct which speaker the sound is coming from. I still have time to return the Sony and get a Polk to match my L/R. Originally, I was considering the csi20, but is that much improvement over the Sony n495? Now I'm leaning toward the csi30.

Will this really help the transition as things move across the room? In the future I do intend to upgrade the front L/R and move the rti25's to the rear.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Go back to the store and take a listen to both centers again- let your ears be the real judge. Personally, I think you should get a timbre matched center as it will create a better sound field and help with transitions. The fact that you're leaning in that direction I think is telling. But if you're happy with the center you have and the transitions are fine than don't bother- I don't think you are, though. Also when you upgrade, if you stay with the same brand (timbre matched), you can keep that same center- but if you're thinking of changing brands- you might want to hold off on the center until you know what your mains will be. Hope that's clear. Good luck.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I agree with Jose, pick your mains first then match the center. If you do pick your center first, then you can always buy another identical one to it and move them to the rears when you decide on a different LCR up front.

JamesKr

Agent
I have the CSI30 matched with front L/R RTI38's and love the setup. If you like your existing Polk speakers then get the CSI30 as it is much better than the CSI20. It is most important that the 3 front speakers be timbre matched. The center channel may be the most important speaker of the 3 in a HT setup so don't go cheap on the center.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I second everyones opinion, however you can gen. speaking get away with a different center on HT but not music, I am 100% that the center is the most important (not counting out the sub as thats a given) speaker so it is important not to skimp there.
I dont mean a gross mismatch as there can be big differences where you have no choice, most really good speakers would not be a big problem on HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks