Center channel crackling problem on HK 525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronn_R, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

I've just got my Dahlquist system 2 and HK 525 and I noticed that there is some crackling sound from the center channel. So far I found the problem only in Starship Troopers(1:00:42 and 1:16:12) and Back to the Future 1(1:44:08). Those scenes contains explosions and roaring sounds from the center channel.
    I tried to turn off the subs, lower all other channel volumes, switched the center speaker with one of my main, and the problem is still there. I can still hear the crackling sound even after I turned the volume down to -50/-55. From reviews, I have not heard any sound problems with those dvds either, so now I'm thinking whether it might be the receiver problem.
    Anybody can help?

2. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

If the "crackling" isn't happening on any other DVDs or source material I don't see why you would think it was the HK's center processing at fault. DVD pressings are *not* always perfect and you could have some errors on these two discs that the correction circuits can't compensate for. "Crackling" sounds like it may be digital error artifacts to me.

3. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

John, I'll try to watch more movies and compare them. About the digital artifact correction, does it mean that I need a better dvd player? My current one is just an ok player: a non progressive toshiba sd2 something. I watched those movies with old low end receiver and speakers before(same dvd player), and I didn't notice the problem. Have you ever noticed these kind of problem with movies in your system?
    Thanks. Anybody else have suggestions?

4. Jonathan_D

Honestly I haven't noticed anything like that. I have a Panasonic DVD player that was quite a good model when it came out three years ago and a new JVC which I've only had since Christmas. I really haven't watched enough movies on the JVC, but so far no problems at all.

The problem may just be *those* particular discs. Watch more movies and see if you notice it on other discs. If not, its cheaper to replace (or even just clean) DVDs than a player or receiver.

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Ronn, I believe Jonathan maybe right about the error being on part of the "DVD" itself and may not be an error on part of the player or the receiver.
    However, what concerns me is the fact that it happens during explosions which could mean the center channel can't handle the power or the receiver is not outputting the power. How about swapping the center channel with one of your mains and see if the problem still persists? It could be the receiver because when I had the ONkyo 898 it crackled like hell in the arena scene with the Tigers. After I switched to the 4ES with external amps, no more crackling, only true Tiger roars.

6. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

Nick, I did swap the center with one of my mains. The problem still persists even when I lower the volume down to -55, and that's a pretty low volume that I have to bring my ears closer to the speaker. The center speaker(Dahlquist QX40) supposed to be able to handle power 10-80 watts.
    I think the crackling sounds were produced by the tweeters, but that might be my ears deceiving me.

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Mmmmm. Questions: Did you calibrate your system first? Are the speakers set to small so that the real lows are being handled by the bass? Is the crossover on the receiver and sub set up properly? Does this happen in all dsp modes or just one in particular? If you answered yes to all of these- then I think you need to contact HK about this. Good luck with this and may you get it resolved quickly so to enjoy that great HK sound properly.

8. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

Jose, the system is calibrated. All sets to small, all 80Hz crossover. I've just tried running Starship Troopers in Dolby 2.0 and the crackling sound is there, less apparent then DD 5.1 but it's there in the same spot.
    I've just watched another dvd tonight(ST: First Contact) and did not notice any crackling sound.
    Oh well, hopefully it's just those 2 dvds problem eventhough Back to the Future was quiet new. I'll watch more movies and I'll try to find somebody with an HT to try out those 2 dvds.
    Thanks all for your suggestions.

9. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Ronn, I've experienced exactly what your talking about. I've read other threads about this too. Its the Dolby output from the dvds that are less than perfect as someone else stated. I've never noticed it on dvd's with DTS audio. Its always on Dolby digital. Recently I noticed it on a dvd. So I played it on my computer and the crackling was there also. I wouldnt worry about your system. Unless you start noticing it on alot of movies.

10. MancusoB

MancusoB Agent

I noticed a crackling distorted sound from Austin Powers Goldmember during the opening credits when Britney is singing.

It's in the center channel, and it always sounds the same no matter what the volume.

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

That crackling bothers me. I'm sure it bothers you more, but I fear it might hurt your speakers in some way. I guess I'm re-living when I blew a tweeter due to amp clipping. I would give HK a call anyway and see what they say- maybe they will just offer to send you a new unit- I've heard of them doing that before or have your current one checked out for you. Anyway, here's to hoping its just those dvd's- once again- good luck!

12. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

This topic comes up from time to time. It's the way the movies are mastered and not the fault of your equipment. I'm not sure how this kind of stuff slips past the QC or sound engineers but it seems to be quite common.

13. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering, what happens if you configure the system without the center channel. The center should be divided and added to the L/R material. If it is the media, should still get the crackling, correct? or does this somehow negate the issue?

JohnS

14. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. That's really sucks though, the crackling sounds really bothered me. I wonder whether a good dvd player would be able to eliminate/correct this.
    JohnSer, that's a good idea, I'll try to do that later.

15. Jonathan_D

Damn, Ronn, again, unless its doing this on more than just these two DVDs, why do you want to spend more money on a new DVD player? Just take the two DVDs back and say they're defective and get replacements!

You know, there are simple solutions to some audio problems. Its like guys spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for cables that will "eliminate brightness" in their systems when what they really need to do is either some room treatment or just use the treble control (ack, heresy!).

Relax, return or replace the two DVDs, and enjoy your system. [​IMG]

16. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Jonathan, why would and replacing the DVDs do anything for him? The defects are on the DVD master itself. Have you been reading any of the other responses here? Also, I'm fairly certain that replacing the player won't resolve the situation. The best way to handle this is not to obsess about it. I know that's easier said than done, but just try to enjoy the movie.

17. Jonathan_D

Yes, I have been reading the responses and no one has addressed these two specific releases and said that all production runs are defective. Seems to me a not unreasonable step would be getting replacements for the discs and seeing if the errors are them as well.

Further, in the post I was responding to Ronn stated he was thinking about replacing the DVD player and JoseG had suggested giving H/K a call over the issue and maybe getting a replacement. My post simply pointed out this was overkill.

Now, where did I miss something?