Center channel cracking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Harwood, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

This is my last question--I promise.
    I have a new Polk center channel, and listening today, it sounds like the midrange speaker is blown. At certain frequencies, it definitely cracks and distorts. I tried adjusting the settings on the receiver to no avail. I also double checked my speaker wiring (14 AWG) and there are no loose connections.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

It could be blown. Or it could just be crying out for help while being over-driven.

Do you have your center channel set to the "SMALL" setting? It should be.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Polk usually makes really good speakers, I think you would have had to go really nuts with the volume in order to blow it. It sounds like your just driving it beyond it's capacity to me, it produces a quick pop sound. And yes, your speakers should all be set to small on the reciever.

4. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

I've only listened to it twice, and both times it was set to "small" on the receiver. I haven't really cranked the volume, either, since I'm still hooking up parts of the system. Last night was just a test of all the components to make sure my wiring was correct.
    Anyway, it's only barely noticable, but when certain people speak (Kim Basinger in Batman, for instance, is particularly bad--the way her voice cracks on the speaker, not her acting. Well...). Would a loose wire cause this problem?
    Thanks for all the assistance.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are certain DVD's that exhibit this crackling phenomenon and it is due to the audio track and not any hardware. The Fifth Element is another such track that has this problem. It always occurs at the same spots of the movie eg. "She dove off" scene where Leeloo jumps off the ledge and the police car swerves to fly down after her.

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Toy story 1 is bad for this, it's there almost the ENTIRE movie!