What's new

Center Channel and Sub Question (1 Viewer)

Miles Abbey

Agent
Here is a newbie question. Should my processor be set on small or large for my center channel. Also, should the subwoofer be on 0 or 180 degrees? Here is a little information on my system. Receiver Yamaha RXV-995, Rotel RB883 AMP (200 watts x 3 channels) Fronts Boston VRM90, Center Boston VR10, Sub PV800. I read in the owner’s manual if you set the center channel on small speaker more bass will go to the mains. Boston Acoustics web site also mentions most configurations should leave the center channel set as small?

Thanks for your help,

Miles

David Judah

Screenwriter
Miles,

Sometimes you have to be patient. This is a big board with alot of sub forums, so sometimes it takes more than 3 hours to get a response.

Anyways, set your Center to "SMALL"(Mains and Rears to "SMALL" also)and Bass Out to "SW"(subwoofer)in the Yamaha menu.

As for the phase setting on your sub goes, it will depend where your MAINS and your sub are in relation to the listening position. The best way is to use "Avia Guide to Home Theater"(a calibration DVD if you are not familiar with it)because it has phase filtered pink noise tones in the subwoofer set-up area with easy to follow instructions. You will be able to get the phase switch set properly in a matter of minutes.

Good Luck,

DJ

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Never fails to surprise me when someone asks a question and gets upset when the answer doesn't drop in their lap right away. I check the forums several times a day, but that still means someone could ask a question and I wouldn't see it for several hours sometimes. From what I've seen, this forum is one of the busiest and has one of the highest number of people participating, so it's still luck of the draw whether you might find a quicker answer somewhere else. It's not like any of the forums have no-life people refreshing and answering 24/7. Well, probably plenty of no-life people, but even they need to sleep ;/.

To answer the question again, I have the same receiver as the poster, and I don't know of any center speakers that I would set to large with it. Only a full range speaker being used as a center *might* be able to be set to large, but even then it's usually better to go small. Set it to small and give it a chance. Don't change it for 5 seconds and make a decision.

Norman Short

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Norman,
From what I've seen, this forum is one of the busiest and has one of the highest number of people participating...
I thought about mentioning that, but I didn’t want to “rub salt in the wound,” as it were.

But since you bring it up, I’ll be surprised if Miles can find a forum with faster responses than this one. As far as I can tell from the six Forums I participate in, this one is absolutely the busiest.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dan_C

Agent
Miles-

You crack me up man.

I hope your in a better place now.

But if you ever swing by the HT forum again, set your center to "small."

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
----------

This is a weak forum. No responses. Oh well I'll seek advice somewhere else. I'm out of here.

----------

Hmm.... good luck, you wont find a busier/more informative forum than this.

If you do happen to come back here, set your centre to small.

As for the subwoofer phase setting, you need to get a DVD with a low frequency pink noise signal that can be sent to the MAIN speakers (the Ultimate DVD Platinum has this, as far as I know AVIA has it too). Set the mains to small, sub to on if you haven't already. Run the test, measure the SPL with a RS meter(set to C weighting, slow response), then change the phase setting and do the test again. Use the setting that gives the highest SPL reading.

Harry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks