What's new

Center channel and RPTV (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've always had my Center on top of my RPTV(you can click on my website if you want a picture), angled down to the listening position. I've been happy with its performance there, but for the heck of it, I decided to move it down below and in front of the TV while the wife and kids were gone today.

I put it on a small foot stool temporarily, angled it up with some rubber doorstops, and moved my front speakers up the same amount so they would all be equidistant to my main listening position. All in all it moved the speakers out into the room another foot or so.

After recalibrating with my 45TX's MCACC, I played some music and movies. In my room it worked out pretty well. The new position brought out some immediacy in the center channel that wasn't there before and moving the mains up caused me to lose some of the width of the soundstage, but it tightened it up and focused it a bit more. I'll have to play around with it and do some fine tuning, but I think I'll keep it that way for awhile(until the family leaves for an extended period giving me time to tweak again :)).

So, has anybody else tried putting the center down and in front of the TV?

DJ

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I always had my Center on the floor (on a small center stand angled up). My center is pretty heavy (about 35lbs) so when I had my RPTV, it would bend the top cabinet a bit. Also having the Center on the TV, your TV set introduces noice as it is one big resonating cabinet.

Now that I have a Front Projector, the floor is the only place to keep it :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
In the past, I had my center (Def Tech C2) on top of my TW40X81. Basically, I did the same thing you did. Rigged a temp stand and recalibrated. I wouldn't call the difference dramatic, but I definitely prefer it down low. I have since purchased a stand for it.

Plus I sleep a little better at night. I live in earthquake country and the center barely fit on top of my TV. One good shake and I think it would have come down. :)

-Keith

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Same here.The reason for this is because the tv screen acts as big baffle for the speaker[when on top],so the sound will reflect off the screen,and lessening the speakers ability to "place sound in space",basically what you have experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks