center channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I currently use separates for my mains (Axiom M50). They are run off of a Parasound 1500a. I am considering some type of monoblock for my center channel. How important is it to match my 2 ch amp? Will it make a significant improvement on center channel performance? My center is an axiom VP150 and I am currently looking at a Parasound 1201 mono for around $180 used. Any words of wisdom?

Jason

p.s. I use a Denon 3802 as a pre/pro

2. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

All other things being equal, you'd want your amp section for the three front channels to match. Well... some people might say you want exact speakers and amp sections all around (5 or 7 way).

In practice, it's much more difficult to hear differences in amps than it is for speakers. As long as the power output is close enough to allow level matching, and both are good clean amps, I don't think it's paramount to have the same amp sections for L/R as you do for center. Naturally you wouldn't want tube center and SS L/R. [​IMG]

I'm not that familiar with either the Axiom you have, or the Parasound you're looking at, so I can't really be much more specific.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jason,

IMO, it's best to have the same type of amp driving the front 3. If you have a Parasound for your fronts, I'd stay with the same manufacturer. The 1500A is if I recall is 205@ 8 ohms. The 1201 would be a great choice at 150 Watts for the center.

I think this is the amp you are looking at here on the HTF site.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=129468

PARASOUND 1201
    150 watt monoblock. Mint with original box and manual. Retail ~ $350. $180/obo.
    http://www.parasound.com/service_inf.../hca1201a.html

Also, I'll vouch for Rick. He's very particular about his equipment.

Steve Simon uses the 1201's for his system. You might want to ask him how this amp performs. I am sure he'd be happy to provide feedback.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28700.html

Much Luck,
    Charles

4. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys. My only real hesitation is that I read some reviews concerning the 1201 and there were more than a few negative comments. Most of them had to do with poor construction quality. I definitely can survive without the amp, but I figure if it's a great deal and will make a difference in quality, then it's something I should consider.

Jason

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd consider maybe a brigable amp from the same manufacturer as well, like the HCA 750 would easily drive the center and should be very similar timbre to the amps that drive your mains.

I run an AudioSource Amp1a bridged to my center and the Amp3 for mains and the timber sound identical (3 Nht SuperZeroes with NorthCreek Mod X-overs) on panning and your's should too if the system is calibrated correctly.

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    That is actually an old system setup from over 3 years ago.

Here is my new setup, Im using the HCA 1500 for my mains, and Monoblocks for the rest....

I have found this amp combo works extremely well, and never had a desire to upgrade any further.... There were complaints against the 1201's being defective a year back, but I never had a problem with them, not once. They produce warm, vibrant sound.

http://www.monmouth.com/~darthsimon/

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I use Proceed AMP2 for my mains and a B&K 7250 for the rest and I have found that I prefer the sound of B&K's MOSFET amps better for my center channel reproduction than the Proceed amp. The Proceed amp is very transparent and shows up any brightness or sibilance in voices rather glaringly but with the B&K the very upper range is somewhat laidback and rolled off giving the sound a natural life. So even though I believe that all three fronts must be matched speaker wise and amplification wise, ideally. In reality though I think it doesnt matter if your center channel had different amplification because most center channel speakers do have a different frequency response compared to the fronts. In fact the frequency response variances between center channel spaekers and main L/R speakers are much more dramatic than differences between the FR of two different amps. So in the end it doesnt matter for most practical purposes. So dont worry about the different amp in the center channel. Just choose one that makes human vocals sound the most natural and lifelike. In the long run that will yield the most satisfaction.