Center Channel advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Tong, Nov 11, 2002.

1. George Tong

George Tong Auditioning

I'm in the process of purchasing a center channel and had a quick question.

My friend told me when shopping for a center I should buy the same brand of speaker as my mains. Does this really matter?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Most people would agree with that person. Why?

Speakers from the same manufacturer will insure they are properly timbre-matched. Timbre-matching is having the speakers sound tonally the same. Speakers that are not timbre matched will not sound right when used for HT.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Not even the same brand is good enough at times. What you want to make sure of is that the center is timbre matched to your fronts. The best way to do this is to use the same model as your fronts. make sure that the center is video shielded, though. Otherwise you may have trouble with the T.V. Some companies make shieled models just for this purpose, others have centers to match their other models. Call or email the company and ask if they have a center to match the fronts or if they can recommend a ceneter if they don't. The surrounds don't have to be timbre matched, but some folks prefer that, especially if they listen to 4 or 5 channel stereo and have good quality speakers all around. I know of some people who don't timbre match and find a close matching center and yet others who don't just because they don't hear the difference (but that's another story, isn't it?).

4. George Tong

George Tong Auditioning

Thanks for the advice guys, now I know why. [​IMG]

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

How do you know when you have a timbre match? Is there a way to verify this? What does timbre matching mean?

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

How do you know when you have a timbre match? Is there a way to verify this? What does timbre matching mean?

7. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Generally speaking, if the center uses the same drivers as the fronts, like maybe 2 woofers and the same tweeter, then it's probably timbre matched. However, keep in mind that as soon as you set the center on top of a TV or on the shelf of an entertainment center, this will change the sound.

So, match as close as you can, but know that unless you have 3 identical speakers on stands in a front projection type setup, you're going to compromise the timbre matching.

8. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Like everyone said,best to stay with same manu.Due to slowly putting together my set up I failed to match the 3 fronts,left and right mains are AR TSW 510's (early 90's) center is an M&K THX 750.It appears I got lucky and the 3 are very close,at least to my impact tool shock damaged hearing[​IMG] ,but my wife ,also agree's that there is no apparent tonal changes from lft-cnt-rt.