What's new

Center channel advice for Klipsch speakers (1 Viewer)

Jwats!

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have Klipsch KG 4 main speakers and an entry level Klipsch Center Channel ( SC 1)..wondered if I should be searching for something used but better. And if so, if anyone has suggestions on a specific model.

I am in no hurry..nor do I want to spend a lot

Thanks in advance

John

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
With the KG4, the best center would be another KG4. Not sure how an RC64 (which is a beast) timbre matches, etc...

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I'm not really sure that I buy into the "timbre match" thing for the center speaker, it has a unique job. So much so that a lot of us spend some somewhat serious money on one. I've seen lots of systems where the center speaker is different from the rest.
But if you want to stick with Klipsch, that's not a bad idea. Amazon has the R-25C Center Channel Speaker on sale right now for $189.00. It has good reviews. Or you can go with the Klipsch RP-250C for $369.00. The reviews on this one reflect the price difference. The Klipsch KG 4 are some great old vintage speakers, they deserve a great center. I'd send the money on the R-25C. If you go cheap on the center, a weak component will restrict the quality of the rest of the system; especially a center speaker. It's cheaper to buy a great center at first, than it is to upgrade 3 or 4 times to one. You can tell your wife that you're saving money by buying just the $369.00 speaker.

I use a set of 1982 vintage speakers (pioneer HPM 1100s) in front. Very few of the modern day theater receivers can drive them with justice (along with all of the other speakers). To drive mine, I use a separate amp running off of the pre-outs from the main receiver. It is an older 1100 watt 5.1 theater receiver, but it does great at just driving my two big speakers.

Last edited:

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
About buying used. The speaker suspension has a life span, more so than the rest of the speaker. When you buy used, it's like playing Russian roulette using a Glock. Plan on a rebuild in a year or two. But you might get lucky and they may last a bit longer.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To the best of my knowledge, Paul W. Klipsch and James B. Lansing pretty much pioneered the commercial speaker industry. Anything decent was pretty much DIY and kits before that.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I'm not really sure that I buy into the "timbre match" thing for the center speaker, it has a unique job. So much so that a lot of us spend some somewhat serious money on one. I've seen lots of systems where the center speaker is different from the rest.
But if you want to stick with Klipsch, that's not a bad idea. Amazon has the R-25C Center Channel Speaker on sale right now for $189.00. It has good reviews. Or you can go with the Klipsch RP-250C for $369.00. The reviews on this one reflect the price difference. The Klipsch KG 4 are some great old vintage speakers, they deserve a great center. I'd send the money on the R-25C. If you go cheap on the center, a weak component will restrict the quality of the rest of the system; especially a center speaker. It's cheaper to buy a great center at first, than it is to upgrade 3 or 4 times to one. You can tell your wife that you're saving money by buying just the $369.00 speaker.

I use a set of 1982 vintage speakers (pioneer HPM 1100s) in front. Very few of the modern day theater receivers can drive them with justice (along with all of the other speakers). To drive mine, I use a separate amp running off of the pre-outs from the main receiver. It is an older 1100 watt 5.1 theater receiver, but it does great at just driving my two big speakers.
I disagree with Luke. I had different speakers from different stereos that I put together for the first surround way back in the day. I started out with 4 speakers using a Yamaha DSP1 and the rear channel was just mono. Left minus right matrixed. I was using ADS L1230s for the mains front and a pair of Boston Acoustics A400s for the rears. I then got my first center channel speaker from Cambridge Soundworks. As the codecs got better and the channels got dedicated, I started to notice a difference in the timbre and more. I eventually swapped out the A400s for a pair of L810s from ADS to match the 1230s. I noticed a vast improvement in the illusion. They used the same drivers and crossover points but different cabinets. I continued to improve my system by getting a pair of L1290/2s for the rear, and that put the tweeter at the same height for my ears. I noticed less boomy bass and the drivers were vertically aligned. Then I swapped the front and rears and listened in just stereo and the upper bass was better on the L1290/2s so I kept them in the front and got another pair for the rear to replace the L1230s. I then built a center channel box using all the same drivers and crossover to match the L1290/2s and really heard a seamless surround. Much more of an illusion, and nothing standing out in both movies and music. The last improvement was to get the center channel tweeter and midrange the same height as the other 4 towers. That was very audible. I am now working on getting my 4 ceiling speakers built using same drivers and crossovers as the 5 surrounds. All the speakers in an Atmos setup are full frequency and full bandwidth so they should all be the same for the best envelope and illusion.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
The best sounding center I have ever had was when all the front speakers where the same speaker. So I think timber matching is important.

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I disagree with Luke.
I think timber matching is important.
I knew I'd catch some flack on that, and I can see your point to some degree. I do applaud purest like Bob Bielski for his efforts, and I do agree that If one hears obvious tonal differences when the sounds pan from speaker to speaker, this does need to be fixed. However, Timbre matching would generally be beyond the scope of someone looking for a cheap used center speaker. In other words, I think you all may be climbing the wrong tree.

As for Jwats! timber matching, there is no center speaker similar to the Klipsch KG 4. They didn't even make center speakers back then. Timbre is defined as "that distinct tonal quality" that each speaker possesses, as opposed to pitch or loudness. Any higher quality Klipsch center speaker will be well in the ball park, and should sound reasonably good with your KG 4. As for the cheap used center speaker you ask about, a fear a severe quality mismatch. And you will find very few members in this forum that will not choke on the thought of anyone doing this.

The one you ask for: Klipsch Quintet Center Speaker
The minimum that I would buy if I were you: Klipsch Reference R-25C Center Speaker

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't call the desire to have sounds stay consistent across my 3 front speakers "purist". That is a very basic principle that even the cheapest speaker set try to accomplish. Getting the best speaker possible is not always possible. All centers are a compromise (unless you have an identical matching L/C/R setup). So at least get one that sounds similar. Because once you notice the flaw it is very hard to 'unnotice' it. ;)

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
not trying to give you flack Luke Just one of those people that are off the charts. I fully enjoyed the system when mismatched and equalized best I could but never got the result where I was seamlessly engulfed and confused and totally surrounded with equal everything. Not bullshiting people it does make a difference. And having the center in the same plane or height of the other 4 mains really sounds great. Overkill for a lot but if you have the time and money just do it right.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
just trust me Luke I grew up on welfare and any and all systems were fine for me. But as time goes by things get better and better. I am old and want as good as good can be.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's no need for anyone to apologize for trying to express ideals regarding setups. People come here to learn how things should be done. I believe there's a certain responsibility to try and pass on ideal, but realistic information and suggestions. There will always be the situation of "This is the best way to do it... but..." We all have to make compromises in the real word, but it serves nobody to turn those (sometimes unacceptable) compromises into the standard, and then belittle anyone who tries to strive for a more ideal setup or give advice that aims for a higher goal.

Bob mentioned having the center channel at the same height (specifically it would be the tweeter) as the L&R. I'd love to have that, but the only way that's possible without having them all above or below the image (which would be even worse) is with a projection system and an acoustically transparent screen, with the center behind the screen. Almost nobody can do that, but it's still something to know about.

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I have a 7 Klipsch Quintet III speakers in my system, for the surround, back, Atmos, and center speaker; taken from two speaker sets. The center speaker in the set is the only one that is different. It has an extra little woofer added, and no stand. They have a great sound, but friends and family agree that the center speaker sounded dull compared to the pioneer HPM 1100 front speakers. All also agreed that the rest of the Klipsch speakers do a great job in their position. The HPM 1100's frequency range is 25 to 50,000Hz with a 125watt rated input power (250 max) at 6.3 ohms. These speakers are power hungry, have crisp sharp highs, strong mids, and lows that compete with some of the better sub woofers. But to do this, they have to be driven by a dedicated amplifier, that is high quality and fairly powerful. 1100 PDF

I needed to replace the center speaker with ones that better match the 1100s. I looked at over a hundred speakers and did a lot of research. Then I took my own advice in post 4 of this thread, and bought the Klipsch R-25C. It arrived three days ago. My friends, family, and I all agree that this is a huge improvement. As a center speaker, the R-25C supports the 1100s well. Even though these speakers are worlds apart in so many ways, as they are doing their assigned job their tonal qualities are very similar. Tomorrow, I will design and build a stand that will hold it just above my 65inch Sony TV. The stand will mount to the back of the TV. 1100 Pic

The original Klipsch Quintet III center speaker is a good speaker and sounds great in the system I moved it to. Its Retail cost is $500 per set, 4 years ago. Sense I have 2 sets, I have two of these center speakers. I made stands, and I'm using them both as front speakers in a Logitech computer surround system. Now I have the same problem in this system. The superior front speakers overwhelm a lesser center speaker. I will repair an old JBL center speaker I have, and try it out. Hopefully, I'll have the same luck.

Last edited:

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
just trust me Luke I grew up on welfare and any and all systems were fine for me. But as time goes by things get better and better. I am old and want as good as good can be.
I'm old enough to collect social security, and still raising two young girls. Court appointed, and raised from birth. Ones 11, and the other's 14. I want better than nice, but I have a budget I have to work within, and a wife.

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I believe that depending on the company we may need to take things into our own hands and match all. It is not that difficult but is a pain in the ass to build cabinets. It is worth the pain and is fun in the end. The end result is the best match and the best sound. I am a purist but I have been there when you have to make do. I just wanted to share a path that is easy for all to follow to get a no compromise solution. The old saying that the more you know can be a double edged sword. Be careful what you ask for. I used to be happy with my display, but after learning about D6500 grey and getting the set calibrated, I notice WAY too much. I asked for it and I got it. Same thing with audio. Too much education does 2 things. It enables you to get the most out of all your equipment but at the expense of seeing or hearing the short comings.I don't know witch is worse, getting as good as can be but knowing not perfect, or totally oblivious and happy with ignorance is bliss.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Oh the wife she fights me with all I do on the home theater. But loves when we watch a movie.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
And budgets SUCK. I spent almost 20,000$ of my retirement money to get all my equipment.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
After 4 years of building my dream system my daughter moved home with a new granddaughter so all my wires and the whole system is mothballed. She was in rehab for crack cocaine and met a new boy who turned her on to shooting heroin. My son is mentally ill and just buried my father in law who went to hell with dementia My system is my sanity. I put the safety of my granddaughter first and dismantled the system and commend you for taking care of your girls . I just keep looking forward to the day when I can play music or movies and be in bliss so I keep striving towards that time and learn about room acoustics and put in place all the equipment to get there. Credit card debt as well as equity on the home.Hope to be there in next 5 yrs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks