Center channel accuracy/importance/demos

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jefff, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Jefff

Jefff Agent

Greetings all
    I don't post often,mainly lurk n learn :b But I require some assistance.
    I'm in the process of helping my Bro-in-law upgrade his system one step at a time, and I really want to point out to him just how important a role the center chnl really plays in the HT setup.
    I'm going to bring his ctr.to my home setup,and alternate (swap)it with my Polk cs400i-so he can hear the differences.
    I need some demo material that really works the center mainly,could you be so kind as to list a few,and plz try to point out why you listed it in particular (was it for the dialogue/effects etc.) in other words,what should I be listening for and pointing out (you know what I mean - solid thud of car door in this scene,person breathing in another etc.)all suggestions welcome,good mono tracks as well as 5.1/DTS.thanx for your help.

CHEERS ! jefff

2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    A nearly classic demo would be the Diva scene from The 5th Element. I would be interested to see what others suggest for stressing out a center channel.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The bursting pipes and gauges in the depth charge scenes in U-571 DTS. Absolutely ear piercing on the CS400i - it really delivers the goods on this scene.

Ed

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It's more important that the center speaker tone-match the L/R speakers.
    Try some of the wide, outdoor shots in Star Trek:Insurrection. The dialog flows to the L/R speakers if the actors are on the extreme edges of the scene. Chapter 15 with the "drone flyers" is another good one as the sounds swirl around your speakers.
    Suggestion: turn off the TV during your listening tests. This will force your ears to become more sensitive. Also, make sure to put your center speaker up on "feet" like rubber erasers, paperback books, etc. Pull the center speaker forward about 1/4 inch over the face of the TV so the sound does not acoustically couple to the face of the TV. (You can make a superior speaker sound bad if you just plop it on the TV several inches back from the front.)
    Hope this helps.