center behind screen?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Rooney, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

In the FAQ part I read that you should place your center speaker behind the screen.
    I am going to be setting up a projector with a DIY screen.
    How should I place the center behind the screen? If this is actually what is being sugested.
    Also would the screen not interfere with the sound?
    Thanks Greg

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Your sound will definitely suffer if you place the center behind the screen. I put my center on a little stool just below where the screen comes and it sounds fine. There are screens (mucho $$$$$) where the sound would carry through the screen but I hear that they suffer visually due to screen door effect.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I second that. You will need a perforated screen in order to place speakers behind the screen. With digital projectors you can get moire which is the interaction of the pixels with the micro holes in the screen, plus I don't know anyone that has made their own perfed screen. In my old setup, I got a single speaker stand and mounted the centre on that. I have seen other setups where they used two identical stands side by side to support a larger centre speaker.

4. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

Movie theaters can get away with it because the screen is so huge. The tiny holes don't have any effect on the image nor can you see them at any kind of close to normal viewing distance (you'd probably have to inspect it up close and personal to see them).

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Greg:

6. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

This is were read it

w.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?&postid=1173066

Center
    The center channel should be at the same height as the tweeters from the mains. If you have a projection screen, place the speaker directly behind the picture source. If you have a direct or rear-projection screen, you'll need to place it above or below the picture source. This may require you to angle the speaker in such a manner so that the tweeter "points" towards the listening position. Many center channels include an adjustable bracket in the back to assist with angling.

I may have misunderstood what it ment.

Also my screen will take up most of the wall so if I put the center below the screen it will be a little lower then the mains. Is this a large concern?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have made a change to that post in the FAQ area.

8. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

Just a FYI,
    You can build a DIY acoustically transparent screen that doesn't have the moire effect. It is actually a fabric that is stretch over a frame and has the about the same(very, very close) roll off as a THX certified perf screen. The fabric is called Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth. It is made specifically for front project and you can find it at www.dazian.com - it is also cheap around 30.00 for 120" wide screen. This is what I am going to use and many others have done also. It works really well. You will however need to drape black felt behind the screen to preven the projection light from bouncing back at the screen.

Hope this helps.

Ron

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Greg:

Thanks for letting us know about this misstep in the forum FAQ.

Neil:

Thanks for changing it for us.

Parker

10. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

At the Loews theater that I goto you can see reflections from the speaker behind the screen when certain colors are projected. I've seen it but everytime I point it out to one of my friends they cant see it. Its very subtle.