center and surround speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JayBird, Jan 27, 2005.

1. JayBird

JayBird Agent

Hey guys, I am pretty sure I have decided on the pioneer vsx-1014 stereo receiver. I think its the best receiver for its price range. Now I am working on getting my center and surround speakers. I'm not sure how much money a decent pair costs, so I won't put a price range in just yet. My question is, what are a good set of surround and a center speaker? For price/performance ratio that is? I'll take any and all reccomendations into consideration. thanx

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Paragim Makes some great stuff. Do you already have fronts??? If so you should probably make sure that all of your speakers are the same brand and from the same line that way they are timbre matched and have an identical sound.

3. JayBird

JayBird Agent

No, I don't have fronts yet. The only thing I have decided on is the receiver. Maybe some of you could give me some suggestions on some fronts? I would like my fronts to have a subwoofer built in so I don't have to buy my own. I was thinking about a pair of cerwin vegas, but i'm really not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Powered 3-way tower speakers? I hope you have some serious coin my friend.

If you're on a tight budget I'll go ahead and recommend the Fluance 5-speaker system and a 10" Dayton powered subwoofer from Parts Express (Total price @$375 w/shipping).

EDIT: I see you're from Canada. That estimate is in US dollars, sorry [​IMG]

5. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I'll second Garrett. I would still reccomend the Paradigm Atom or Titans depending on your budget. I also think they are cheaper in Canada?? Do not buy surrounds and a center though. You really want to make sure you have the front left and right first, then surrounds, then center, then a subwoofer. At least that would be my upgrade order. You can use the fronts to take the place of the center from what I have heard so maybe go with the Fronts and a Dayton sub. Do not get a paradigm sub as tehy are too expensive for what you get in my opnion. I would pick up the titans and the Dayton if I were you. I currently have Paradigm Titans for Fronts, Paradigm CC-170 which is an ok center, Paradigm Atoms for surrounds, and an SVS PB10-ISD. I run it through my denon and use to run it through an entry level yamaha. This system sounds great and I recomend paradigm to anyone on a tight budget.

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I'll recommend the Atoms too [​IMG]

just remember to get a center that matches the fronts, so you get a consistent tone/timbre when the sound pans across the front.

7. raoC

raoC Stunt Coordinator

I have the fluance sx-htb and extremely happy thus far. they are not like 1000 speakers but for 300 they are worth every penny.

8. JayBird

JayBird Agent

ok, thanx a lot guys. Although, your talking about getting a sub? I would like a 10" or 12" sub built right into my fronts, or is this a bad idea? Like I said b4, I am not an expert when it comes to HT stuff, so these are just my ideas. thanx for the help.