Center and front speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy Scott, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i just got AVIA in the mail and it says that your center channel speaker should be the same sound as the two other front speakers....is this true?

i always thought the center speaker was the most important and the most powerful of the 5.

please clear this up....

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Yes, so the sound is "matched", but most people don't do this. The center channel is considered the most important, not necessarily more powerful. That depends on the speaker and amp driving it. In HT, the center is where most of the dialogue comes from and therefore gets used the most in a HT setup. Since most use their HT for music as well, many people have larger mains, which in general are more suitable for full sound reproduction and are capable of putting out higher volumes and broader range of frequencies. A center only need to reproduce the human voice, you don't need a 12" woofer for that. For HT many would agree using all the same speakers would be best to provide a perfectly timbre matched soundstage, but if you were to have large mains in an all HT setup, this isn't space and cost effective. Thats why you'll see many HT with small speakers and a sub to fill in the missing lower frequencies a smaller speaker can't produce.

So you have people trying to compromise two different requirements for sound in one system. You'll on average see a small center and surrounds with large mains for these purposes. Matching speakers are ideal, but usually doesn't work out in the real world. Many speaker companies design a center that will match the sound qualities of their larger mains by sharing the same drivers, except the absence of a woofer because it is not needed to do it's job and to keep it smaller.

Bottom line: the center is the most important, not necessarily the most powerful in HT, which is what AVIA was designed for setting up and has a bias torwards in setting up your A/V equipment.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i guess i make these ajustments buy using the Test Tone adjustments on my reciever, right?

4. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

5. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

yep. you need to tell the a/v receiver how far each speaker is from the listening position. then start adjusting the level of each speaker so they all have the same apparent loudness from that point. typically, you set the left front speaker volume, and then go around the room to the right, matching the volume between each speaker. actually, the distance setting shouldnt effect the volume setting, so it can be done afterwards. up to you.

as for all speakers being the same kind, what matters is that they all sound alike, except perhaps in the bass region. you want the sound of something moving between speakers to be the same, all around the room. it would sound silly to have something going on in the center channel, and then when it moves to the side or rear, to get really shrill or bass-heavy. the front three are the most important, but its nice to have the rears at least close to the same.

ag.

6. John S

John S Producer

I much prefer the same exact speaker all the way around, over even a center channel specific speaker. But that is just me really.

7. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit