What's new

Centennial Mini-Series on DVD.....Ever? (Oh, yes: see post #15!) (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Great news, but why hasn't Universal put out Rich Man, Poor Man? It had a lot more viewers than Centennial, and won several Emmys. Also, the success of that show made Centennial and all those that followed possible. It doesn't make sense to put out Centennial on DVD before Rich Man, Poor Man!!!!!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Charles,

I hear you about RMPM. IT should have been released in R1 before now. That's the miniseries that seemed to have started the miniseries age back in '75.

I'm curently watching the R2 RMPM Bk II set at present. I wonder if a music-clearance issue is the reason for a delayed R1 release. While watching the Bk II set, there's a lot of voice-over tracks with Cassie Yates playing the singer role in the series. I don't remember much music in the Bk I set though so maybe music clearance rights aren't a factor in R1.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe Kelly said:
Just a reminder, CENTENNIAL is being released on DVD next week, Tuesday July 29th. Amazon is offering a special pre-order price of $38.99.
Joe & Oscar, thanks for bumping the thread. This one's one of the very few miniseries from the 70's-80's that I missed the first time around. It will be a blind-buy for me but given the era & cast, I know this one's a sure thing for me. I haven't shopped around yet for the best price but this one's been on my Excel "release" worksheet for a long time.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Charles H said:
The cast is an amazing collection of stars from veteren tv actors (David Janssen, Robert Conrad, Andy Griffith, and Raymond Burr) to stars still operating today (Mark Harmon and as an extra, George Clooney).
I still remember the emotional ending with Brian Keith and Doug McKeon, those who've seen it know what I mean, have those hankies ready.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
For those who haven't seen it, this is one of the best miniseries EVER. I've seen it on TV several times and each time it was so addicting I couldn't pull myself away from it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've never even seen a frame of this but I'm going to have to buy it, it sounds fantastic. Over at Amazon it gets 5 stars from 174 reviews, & it's not out untill next week!

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
I got CENTENNIAL in the mail today from Amazon. Haven't started watching it yet, but the DVD case is cool, it's shaped like a book (6 DVDs in another fold-out case inside).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Watched the first episode today. I don't think the transfer is bad at all. Very, very watchable. Unless you demand perfection, don't hold back just because it happens to be from the same source material as the VHS.

It looks as good, if not better, than many DVD sets I get.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I plan on watching episode two...my wife said it gets better as it goes along. I'd forgotten David janssen narrated it....boy did his voice change from Richard Diamond...all that smoking and drinking!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
Watched the first episode today. I don't think the transfer is bad at all. Very, very watchable. Unless you demand perfection, don't hold back just because it happens to be from the same source material as the VHS.
It looks as good, if not better, than many DVD sets I get.
Carab,
Thanks for the video info on this one. I'll get this one ayway but your info on the xfrs is good to hear.
Most of us here probably agree that content makes up a lot of ground for non-HD xfrs
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Tried to get this at Borders Tuesday with a 40% off coupon, but it wasn't good on box sets- so I'll have to settle for 30% off...if they still have the sole copy left. They claimed they changed their policies about holding things and won't hold anything longer than a day now. Lame.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
BTW- if anyone else watches this and becomes as smitten with Barbara Carrera as I was in the 6th grade, definitely check out Masada. I always heard good things about it, but I wasn't prepared for just how engaging it would be. Some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Oscar,
Thanks for the link. I noticed that the reviewer made no mention of un-remastered prints so I'm guessing that the transfer Q is an "ok" category to watch. Having never before seen this miniseries, it's one that I'm looking forward to watching.
A quote from the reviewer...."ain't it the truth"?
Preston Jones at DVDTalk Review said:
is a reminder of a bolder, more adventurous time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks