Censorship in Once Upon a Time in America?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Cristiano Leal, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Cristiano Leal

Hi there:

I live in Brazil (R4) and Once Upon a Time in America was re-leased here this week by Warner (there is also a terrible fullscreen version released a few years ago) which I believe it's the same one you guys got in R1: the movie in 16X9, plus commentary track, a 20 min documentary, trailer and photos gallery, right?

Well, I was taking a look at some scenes today and noticed something very disturbing:

In the scene when Noodles gets out of prison, Max picks him up and offers him a hooker, which is inside a funeral car. Well, there is a blur over the part that shows her breasts, when Max removes the sheet that covered her body, this blur moves, always over the section where her breasts are. Its very clear, and it's not subtle at all.

I wonder if this happens in the version released in U.S. This happens at about 97m16s at chapter 28, on disc 1. For years I owned the full screen version that Warner released on laserdisc, and this scene was intact!

I can capture images from the Brazilian Warner DVD and send for someone interested in putting them here, since I don't have a site where I could upload them.

Hugs,
    Cristiano Leal

2. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I actually just watched OUTIA this morning (brilliant movie btw) and didnt notice this at all in that scene...

3. earl_roberts

earl_roberts Stunt Coordinator

I have the R2 version and this isn't on there either. I feel sorry for you having spent your money on this but must admit that it's kinda funny how this was so blatently done on your version.
    Could you post captures?

4. Cristiano Leal

Hi Earl:

No, I can't post pics, here because I think the method for doing it so is to get a link for a page where the pics are, right? They can't be posted in this forum?

Well, if anyone here is willing to post them, feel free to contact me, as I can capture them and send them.

Cristiano

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Cristiano,

The blur was over just the anatomy you mentioned?
    There is more on display than that.

6. Cristiano Leal

Yeah, I checked that and in the next shot, the other parts are blured too, a little.

What I really think it's strange: there are other scenes in that movie with breasts showing up here and there, and this bluring occurs only in that particular scene... Even that violent scene with Max and Deborah (on disc 2) is intact.

The worst thing is that in Brazil we don't have anyone to complain to, since there's not even an e-mail. Also, how to know who had this idea? Was it done by request of the brasilian subsidiary? If yes, then why? For alomost 2 decades since the end of military dictatorship, we haven't cases of censorship here in Brazil. And now, this happens...

Could anyone there in US geting contact with the guys in Warner, to tell them about it?

Cristiano

7. Cristiano Leal

I will do it, Jason, I'll send the captures today for you.
    Thanks,
    Cristiano

8. Cristiano Leal

Jason, did you get the capture pics?

9. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

10. Cristiano Leal

Once again, thanks, Jason!

Cristiano

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

OH, GOD! That's awful. [​IMG]

Who would blur that out? It's just breats. If you are prudish enough to blur out breats, then why stop there? There are many moments in this stunning film that would surely cause more offense to this censor.

Weird.

Gordy

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Blurry breats...bummer. [​IMG]

13. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Just a theory...

If they did not blur out any other nudity, then would it be because the censor thought it was somehow sex with the dead???

I know, it is a reach, but it is the only thing I can come up with...

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

15. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Man, there's irony for ya, censoring breasts in Brazil of all places.

How about the scene in the theater where the thug pokes his gun into the woman's blouse, is that blurred too?

Rob

16. Cristiano Leal

17. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

18. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Hmmm, that's a real bummer! You'd figure that a paranoid censor would (in nearly any country) chop out the scenes where Noodles rapes Carol & later, Deborah.

I'd suggest that you order it from the States but then region coding would keep you from playing it. Also, your country might not allow it to be imported.

19. Cristiano Leal

Hi Tommy:

Yeah, in fact, here in Brazil we can import DVDs from other countries, legally.

And most of us have region free players too.

Cristiano