Censorship in 1970's TV :(

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Craig: Mclaren, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I read about the building campaign in the mid 1970's to reduce violence on US telly. I believe it caused SWAT to get cancelled despite being a top rated TV show. I heard it was also powerful enough to get "Starsky and Hutch" toned down. Please could you give me a detailed background of this period and any TV shows that were affected.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well, I do know that under pressure, networks started the Family Viewing Hour c. 1975 (8:00 to 9:00 PM EST Monday-Saturday, 7:00 to 8:00 PM EST Sunday), but it was eventually overturned by a court of law. Sexual content was also targeted.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I remember some advocacy group defined "violence" broadly - cars speeding for example was considered violent, so the Dukes of Hazard was considered a violent show.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Weren't there some reamining ties to the old Production Code?

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I remember sexy stuff like Three's Company or Charlie's Angels getting a lot of flak too during that time.

6. andrew markworthy

I don't know if this helps or not, guys, but in the 1970s, American shows imported into the UK were considered incredibly tame stuff. E.g. when you were doing stuff like Starsky and Hutch, Brit TV was producing stuff like The Sweeney.

Now I think things have changed. E.g. more than one Star Trek: TNG episode was censored over here because it was considered too violent for the broadcast time.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Things don’t change that much: we censor sex, the rest of the world censors violence, except Singapore which censors everything.