1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cemetery Question...NJ Local

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 18, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's something I wonder about everytime I drive through it. Everyone know that HUGE Cemetery that the Garden State Parkway drives through around exit 135-145?

Just curious as to wich was there first, the Cemetery, or the Highway, and how come the Highway had to go through, instead of over, it if it was the former...

Seems like there could be an interesting story behind it.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I don't know which was there first but I do know the cemetary that you talk about. It's always very crowded over there, traffic wise. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only in NJ can you find pictures of views from the major highways!
    According to some web searching, the Holy Sepulchre Cemetery dates back to the 1800s (at least parts of it) so it could possibly that the GSP might have gone through it and then the owners could of expanded on the other side of the parkway...but the GSP wasn't around in the 1800s so the cemetery was techically there first.
    Don't forget to check out the stupid cell phone tree on the northbound side at exit 135 (Clark/Westfield) it's very obvious and quite funny that they spend gobs of money to put these completely fake looking branchs on cell towers. Which even in the summer when there are leaves on the tree, they stick out like a sore thumb.
    Jay

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

We were talking about this in my Law and Justice class in the beginning of the school year. The cemetary was there, but they had to make a highway go through that area, so they dug up some graves, moved them, then built the road right in the middle.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, Each time I think that might have happened... I'm reminded of a certain movie line...
    "You removed the headstones, but NOT THE BODIES" [​IMG]...

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Re: Cell Phone Tree...

Yeah, we're getting one of those near our house on the Wyckoff Exit of Rt 208. The guy there put up a fight too late, and now the city is putting it on/near his property, heh.

I agree the Cell Tree looks stupid, but at least it's better than the even uglier looking tower itself, heh.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'd rather that they leave it as a cell phone tower, what's the point. First of all, the nature of the cell tower is that it is clearly taller than any of the natural real trees in the area, and in winter it is obvious it's the only "evergreen" in a 1/4 mile radius of the GSP!! it's sticks out like a sore thumb, I just laugh all the time cause who is it going to fool?

I have a friend who works with Nortel and one of his jobs sometimes takes him out to do service on those cell towers, he tells me that each branch can cost up to a $1000. Now multiply that by the number of branchs around the tree...

Jay