Cemetaries in dreams: What could it mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Apr 28, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have cemetaries in my dreams often. Sometimes I'll be driving by them or through them, other times I'll be walking in them, or sometimes they'll just be in the background. It gets aggrevating, because cemetaries show up in about half my dreams. It makes me wonder why they are there alot. Have any ideas?

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

When have you seen cemetaries in real life?

~T

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't often see cemetaries in real life. I see them more in my dreams, than I do in real life.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It could mean that you are yearning to re-visit people or events of your past. It could also possibly represent the fact that you have unresolved issues with the past. Next time you dream this dream, try to remember to embrace whatever it is you are seeing, that way your mind will learn to resolve the issue.

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Wouldn't the simplest explanation be that it's a manifestation of a fear of death (your own or that of others)? Are these dreams accompanied by anxiety?

I used to date a woman who also used to dream recurringly about cemeteries, and sometimes that she was attending a funeral but couldn't figure out who it was for. Of course, she was raised by her grandparents who, though healthy, were in their late 70s and she carried around a lot of fear about them dying. She said that when she moved out on her own, every time the phone rang late at night or early in the morning, she would experience a momentary panic prior to answering.

For her, it wasn't difficult to figure out where the anxiety-ridden dreams were coming from.

6. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If I were having that many dreams of cemeteries and there were no zombies shambling about I'd be pretty upset.
    But then, what I consider great dreams are probably what most would consider nightmares [​IMG]

8. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Cemetery

A dream of contrary. If the cemetery was well kept, it signifies coming happiness and prosperity; however, if the general appearance of the place was dreary, you must expect a bit of trouble first.

(quote from swoon.com)

9. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Maybe you are the next chosen one, destined to rid the world of vampires.

10. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Danny, you beat me to it! I was going to say that he's just been watching WAY too much Buffy.

Glenn

12. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Someone from the dead is trying to contact you, tell you something important. Not literally a dead person wanting to speak to you, but maybe a deceased relative or friend did or said something in the past that you should've paid attention to, a lesson that you didn't learn, something that might have some meaning in the present.

13. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Stephen,

How do you feel when you wake up from these dreams? Are you afraid, angry, or like you said, aggravated? Depending on how the dream imagery affects you could lend to the meaning of the dream.

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's just strange. I wake up feeling weird usually. Like the dream that made me make this thread. It looked like the cemetary my grandfather was buried in, and was in the dream, but it wasn't the way the cemetary really looks. It's kind of like when someone experiences deja vu. My mom and I were walking around the place talking, and looking for my grandfather's grave. We ended up standing there, and I asked her if she's been there at the gravesite. I can't remember what the answer was though. There was alot of other stuff going on in my dream, like my mom and I looking for my sister's father, and stuff that I can't remember at the moment, because the dream isn't fresh in my mind anymore. I know it wasn't a scary dream.

My grandfather that was in my dream I never met(and neither has my mom), died 22 years before i was born, and 2 years before my mom was born. He was my dad's father, and my dad was 9 at the time.

Another dream I had was at the cemetary that my other grandfather was buried at, and had the look and feel of the real one, but was like the other dream where it really wasn't the cemetary. It was at dusk, and I was being chased all over by these freaky guys. I jumped off a ledge, and fell in a ditch hurting myself. I kept running, and ended up losing the guys and just collapsed. This was a scary dream.

Another one I had recently was with me and my dad. We were driving through a cemetary in my grandmother's car, hitting grave stones, and knocking them over. We proceeded to go up a hill, still knocking the stones over, trying to get to my dad's friend's house who owned a bunch of boats and lived at the top of the hill in an old home. We got up there, and pounded on the doors and windows, trying to get the guy's attention. He never came, so we went into the house and he wasn't home. I never got to see what friend it was. We walked around the house, and the guy owned all these different atique stuff. I woke up around this time.

All these dreams perplexed me. Have any idea what they mean? I know I had more dreams with cemetaries in them, so I'll probe my mind to think of them, and post them later.

15. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

The MOST obvious reason is you are probably dreaming of being a grounds keeper at a local cemetary. Have you checked the want ads in your local paper recently....TRUST ME ....once you start running those damn mowers around hundreds of those damn markers and flowers and tombstones you wont wanna do it.....DAMN MINIMUM WAGE JOBS>>>>>[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I wouldn't wanna do it anyways. Working in a cemetary isn't my idea of a job.

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Hey StephenA, is it okay if we use your thread for other dream interpretations as well? I have something I haven't been able to explain since my senior year of high school (about four years ago).

P.S. It'a a messed up dream. Too messed up to make up.

18. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea, it's fine to use it for any dream interpretations.

19. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Stephen, when people dream, the environment is never identical to reality. It's always an "absurd" representation of that reality. Regarding your first dream,

it could mean that there's some questions in your life you

are seeking to answer but nobody seems to have an answer for. Even your mother in the dream couldn't answer you. These questions may have to do with your grandparents whom you never met. Apparently, your grandfather died at a young age and this probably had a great effect on your whole family. There could be some unresolved grief issues that are still haunting your whole family. The dream could have manifested following a family discussion of your grandfather.

It doesn't even have to be about your grandparents. Your granparents could represent something else in your life that you are seeking answers for. Dreams are rarely literal. The images in dreams usually are symbols for something else.

Your second dream induced fear since you were running away. Dreams like this are easily caused by something scary ... like watching "Buffy" just before going to bed.

The third dream is another cemetary dream that involves another grandparent. It's got many other elements but "hitting grave stones" could symbolically mean you are encountering some temporary setbacks/problems during the pursuit of your goal. The drive is your journey to that goal. Why your grandmother's car? You have to ask what did she represent in your life? Did she protect you from harm as a child? Maybe she helps you "knock over these gravestones" in life...

I still don't know why the cemetary and your granparents are common themes. You'll have to ask yourself what they represent to you. If you dream of them so often they must mean something.

20. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I wish I met my grandfathers, who both died before I was born. I never really got along well with the grandmother who owns the car in my dream. She never got along well with my mom either. Maybe I have cemetaries in my dreams because my mom almost died a few years ago from a stroke and heart surgery and both my grandmothers are in their mid-80s.