Cement/concrete or brick paver patio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I am in the planning stages of replacing my old wooden deck with a patio. My landscape architect wants me to go 100% brick pavers (I think that's his specialty) whereas I originally wanted to do concrete. The size of the deck would be about 500 sf, and he estimates the cost of brick to be $4,500 and the cost of concrete to be $3,000.

My house is about 13 years old, so I don't think settling would be an issue. What I would really like to do is have the main area be concrete and have bricks used for the border and walkways.

Does anyone have any opinions on the benefits/advantages of brick vs. concrete?

Thanks!

2. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Hi Brian,

My wife and I are also considering either a brick/concrete patio or putting up a 1 step deck. We'll probably go with the deck because of trees/root issues.

But, they do have stamped concrete now that they can make any color and have different designs that make it not look like regular concrete. Only $1,500 difference for brick seems pretty cheap to me. I'm assuming labor is included. You could use the $1500 for some new HT equipment.

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

If the ground isn't prepared right before laying the brick pavers then everything gets screwed up. If pavers are his specialty then go look at some of his other work and see how it is. Make sure the entire surface is level and the bricks aren't uneven. Concrete is much more forgiving with regards to preparation and is easier to work with. Also, there are options available to color or stamp (or both) the concrete to make it a little less "boring."

When we were relandscaping our backyard we looked into brick pavers. Unfortunately the ground here has so much clay in it that things would move and shift over time making all the hardwork look bad. The only way to properly do brick pavers here is to lay a cement pad under them, which would effectively double the cost. So we just went with cement only. It was much easier to install and still looks ok.

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

One thing to consider, if you have clay soil or expansive soil, make sure your edges are thick and extend down into the ground (even upwards of 2'). The idea is to prevent water from getting underneath your new concrete patio and creating differential settlement.
    [​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just recently built a front patio. It is roughly 470sf. I went with concrete. The concrete is 6" thick on a 2" layer of class II road base with 6x6 wire mesh. I also had the concrete mixed with fibar mesh (2" strands of fiberglass). I had 12"x12" footings dug about every 10'. I also had steps and mow-strip poured.
    I then built a 2-block high (slump block) wall around the patio with 5-block high pilers at alternting footage and then put white picket fence inbetween the pillers. I also ran a gas line under the patio and put in a 36" diameter gas fire pit.
    I have some pics on my computer at home I'll post. It turned out great. I'm just now getting to the landscape out front. I did all the work myself except for the concrete.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Bill Catherall

Wow Ron! That's quite a hefty patio! Do you park your truck on it? [​IMG]

7. Brian Perry

I guess the main question is how likely is concrete to crack? I wouldn't mind paying extra for steel reinforcements or fiber.

8. Bill Catherall

Steel reinforcement is a must. Fiberglass is a bonus. I suppose if you want a patio with no control joints (those lines you see in sidewalks are there to control where the cracking occurs because the cement will crack) then fiberglass and a thicker cement is a must. My cement patio is 4" thick with a 2" AB base and control joints every 4 feet. It's been in use for over a year now and doesn't show any cracking (I used the 6" steel mesh also, but no fiberglass).

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

10. Bill Catherall

I put up the pictures of our landscaping project on my website here if anybody is interested.

11. Brian Perry

Bill, that looks really nice!

12. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

What an improvement !