Cellphone monthly fees question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Nelson Au, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I was curious about the fees, taxes and other charges you see on cellphone bills. I have just switched from one carrier to another and was able to transfer the phone number. This is all new to me as I have had the same phone and services since the Holiday Season of 1999. That plan was great for me, I don't talk much and it cost $29.00 a month, with the taxes and fees, it averaged $34.00 a month.

I made the switch yesterday to another carrier because my phone was dying and I had been waiting for the Razr Moto. When it was out in black, I got it. Since only one carrier has the Razr in the US, I guess I can say who it is, Cingular. SInce I still talk very little, I wanted the most minimal plan and I liked the rollover aspect. It was $39.99 a month for 450 minutes and 5000 nights and weekends. It was a good deal I thought since the phone was $150.00 and was a one year contract.

The documentation from the store I got after it was over said what the first month's bill would be, it was high as I would expect because of the set up fees. It also shows me what the monthly bill will be. I was surprised to see the kinds of taxes and fees there are compared to my old carrier. They had mostly different names and cost a lot more! For example, a 911 fee on my old plan was .08 cents, the new one is $3.22! The fine print does say these are estimates and depends on your state, so it might be lower.

Is this kind of odd? SInce I've never been with another carrier before, I have no experience here and didn't see this one coming. The taxes and charges added $13.20 to the monthly fee, whilst my old plan added about $4.00. I am guessing these taxes are sort of arbitrary to make up for some of the discounts? I'll keep an eye on my monthly bills and track the costs and see what happens, maybe I'm jumping the gun here.

Thanks for any insights and I hope this was an okay topic to post here. Nelson

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

It's not odd. In Canada, the big companies are Bell and Rogers. Rogers has system access fees, 911 fee and tax while bill is just one big bill. The plans are similar, but Rogers $25.00 plan(plus 6.95 SAF, plus $0.50 911) is equal to Bell's $35.00 plan. I think on Bell's higher end plans, it ends up being a bit cheaper.

Another reason why your old provider might be cheaper is b/c you signed up with them under an old plan. If they changed their plans/rates after you signed up, you'll still be getting your old rates (they'll be afraid of losing cx's).

Which carrier did you switch from? The Moto Razr is a GSM phone, so you could have bought it from a vendor and used it on T-mobile(if that was your old provider).

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks for the feedback. My old carrier was actually Sprint. It was a good plan for me, it was month to month and the same rate since I first joined them.