Cell phones questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PatH, May 9, 2005.

1. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Okay, let's say I buy a billy whizbang cell phone that does everything but make coffee in the morning (That requires an extra attachment[​IMG] ). Several months pass and I'm dissatisfied with my carrier, so I switch. Is the superphone now a paperweight? If not, how can I find out which providers support which technologies, so that phone portability (meaning moving from one carrier to another with the same phone) would be at least theoretically possible? Is such portability possible at all?

PatH

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not only is it possible, most carriers allow you to transfer your phone number from one carrier to another. I would imagine that if the carrier you want to change to offers the same phone make and model, they support it's features. This still does not solve the problem of being locked into a contract for 1 or 2 years.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It depends on the company you start with and the company you move to. Sprint, for instance, uses their own thing, so if they're in your equation, you can't use the same phone. A few companies are using GSM, but there are still several using TDMA/CDMA. I can't think of any resource that would give you info on what system each carrier uses.

What you might could do is go to the websites of the companies you're considering and see what phones they offer. If their website does not describe their infrastructure (i.e. gsm, cdma, etc) then look up the phone models on the manufacturers website and it should tell you what type of system that phone uses which will then tell you what the carrier uses.

4. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Some phones can be unlocked and then I believe you can use them with any provider. I have a Moto v600 that I used with ATT and now that I (re)signed with Cingular, I can't use it until I get it unlocked. I just wish I knew how to do it for free myself ....

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    it all depends on the tower technology that they use. Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM while Verizon,Sprint, and most other American carriers use CDMA.

GSM technology is used in many other countries and relies off use the use of a small card easily accessable on the phone, that stores your phone numbers and details about which plan and optional services that you have. Cingular and T-Mobile each use cards that are company specific so if you were to switch from one to the other you will be given a new card, I believe that they can also transfer your phone numbers onto the new card as well. As far as phones go on GSM, it is very simple to keep one phone and use it from carrier to carrier assuming that the phone itself is unlocked and it also works with the other carrier's signal bands. T-Mobile for instance uses 900/1900MHZ while Cingular uses 850/1900MHZ, therefore in order to have the best possible compatibility taking your phone to Cingular you would want to make sure that the phone you planned on using could do one or both of Cingular's signal bands. Once you have an unlocked phone that will work on that particular carrier's signal transporting your phone onto another GSM network is as simple as popping out the battery and swapping sim cards for the new GSM carrier that you want to go with. Ahh, the beauty of GSM.[​IMG]

CDMA is a whole other story. CDMA; which is used by Verizon and Sprint, doesn't rely off of a little card and unfortunately doesn't allow the ability to switch to different carriers quite as easy. Sprint and Verizon often use their own phones which can't be unlocked and ported as easy(if at all) and many customer's that want to switch carriers usually do end up having to buy a new phone from the carrier they want to switch to. I don't know if they can transfer your phone numbers on CDMA either.

Number portability is universal now and you can transfer your number to any carrier that you want. My mom recently ported hers to T-Mobile from AT&T.

Hope this helps.[​IMG]

6. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I've sold several cell phones on Ebay after upgrading. If the model is still fairly current or desirable, you can usually get a reasonable amount for it. You won't recoup your original investment, but it will help.

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise checking websites such as phone scoop or howard forums to check about the carriers, coverage, prices, and features.