What's new

Cell Phones in general (1 Viewer)

David-S

Second Unit
Cees, there's actually fairly good coverage (in major cities) with several GSM carriers (3 soon)... Most of the country is on a 1900 Ghz Frequency (at least the carrier that has pre-paid cards)...

not sure what you mean by coupled?

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I just found out more about the actual Matrix phone and personally, it seems perfect to me. It has the in battery vibrate, digital from what I could tell. I can't find any reviews on it though. Some people tell me the thing doesn't shoot down, you just pull it down, true? Also, if I bought this on Ebay, could It work in Canada? I just really want to answer my phone by having that thing shoot down. I was about to get a nokia but then I realized on Pay as you go plans you don't get voice mail :frowning: I'm hooked on this phone and I want it bad!!!
Thanks
P.S. Have you guys seen the picture of the new Matrix phone by Samsung. Doesn't look that great to me at all!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Chad, as Anders said, the actual 8110 does NOT shoot open, only the 7110 does (and even then, after a while it doesn't spring out as crisply or all the way either). presumably for the movie either the producers of The Matrix, or Nokia, doctored an 8110 to do that.

the closest thing today would probably be the new-ish 8910, where the main body of the phone is actually encased in a shell, and when you press the trigger it rises out, thereby extending the phone (obviously the mic is at the end of the shell). otherwise, the older 8850/8890, or 8855, would be similar to the 8110 or 7110 in that they have slides that lower to expose the pushbuttons, as well as extend the mic further.

see these links:-

there's no listing for the 8110, it's been discontinued, IIRC as much as 4-5 years ago. personally, much as I liked the phone, I would not recommend getting one now since you'll probably have problems with spare parts, in particular the batteries -- one reason I finally "upgraded" was that the battery was getting less reliable, and I couldn't buy a new one that fit. I know I could have had an old one refurbished, i.e. keep the "shell" and have the inards replaced, but it seemed too much hassle. and the 8110 was single band GSM900 only, which nowadays with dual-band being standard here (GSM900 and GSM1800), it just made more sense to upgrade. plus the 8850 is a lot smaller and a bit lighter -- fits in the pocket more easily (none of the "is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" nonsense :D )

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,

Thanks.
...not sure what you mean by coupled?
Not too sure myself, come to think of it. What I meant was: are there any problems when calling a phone connected to one net from one on another. I guess not...

Cees

David-S

Second Unit
No, all the networks are totally integrated w/ each other, and w/ landline networks over here, no intercarrier problems...

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
P.S. Have you guys seen the picture of the new Matrix phone by Samsung. Doesn't look that great to me at all!
Here's some more links on the new phone.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3153.html
http://www.thematrixphone.com

The new Matrix phone is an interesting gimmick, but that's basically all I see in the thing.

I have the Samsung 370 myself (Bell Mobility). It works very well, has many features, decent battery life, a bright blue display, and doesn't give me any trouble. In an area with digital coverage, the phone will stay on stand-by for almost a whole week. As for the text messaging feature, I never use it. I have a phone for crying out loud! I simply TALK to the other person! :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I still use my old Nokia 5120 that I have through Cingular and the indoor reception sucks. When I was in Maryland a week ago, I used my aunt's Nokia 3310 that she has through AT&T. It's unbelievable how good the reception is on that thing, even in large buildings. I'm ready to ditch not only my phone, but Cingular as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks